Panelview Plus 6 slow button repeat press

Paul351W

I am working with my first Panelview Plus 6, using FT View Studio 5.00 and I have noticed an odd/bothersome behavior.

If I try to repeatedly press any button on my screen (such as a list indicator increase/decrease push button), I cannot press the button very quickly the 2nd (3rd, 4th) time or the PV does not register the press. However, I can press different buttons as fast as I can, and it will accept the press.

I have the screen update set to 50msec, and the button hold times are also 50msec.

I cannot find any settings to modify this behavior, does anyone have any suggestions (other than making my logic repeat when the button is held)?

what is the comms speed - assuming you have a serial connection - it sounds like 9600 - set it to either 19.2k or 115k

I am using Ethernet/IP to a Controllogix L62 processor. It seems like the delay is being caused by the PV itself, when I alternate buttons the focus highlight changes, but when I try to push 1 button at that same rate, the focus does not light up with every press.

Ramp buttons need a lot of comms time; they read, then increment, then write.

And I'll bet that List Selectors are treated as HMI Tags, so they go through the default 1 second update loop for HMI tags.

And it's possible that if there is an Auto Repeat function for these buttons that it is being applied as a "repeat inhibit", though that's a Wild Guess.

Can you say exactly what sort of Display Object you're seeing this behavior on ?

Have you tested the behavior of the same buttons on your laptop in a test app? I had an issue recently with momentary buttons on a couple of PV Plus's (not 6), that turned out to be a hardware issue. The buttons would not update to the PLC as long as the button was held in. Also, all the display values on the screens would freeze, as long as a button was held pressed. They were older units that had been mothballed for several years. Replacing the terminals with newer models fixed the problem.
I realize with PVP6's, that this shouldn't be an issue, but testing the buttons in the development environment will tell you if it is a hardware issue or not.

HTH

The items are all normally open push buttons, and they are tied to PLC addresses, not HMI internal tags.

I am using some of the buttons to increase/decrease the value of a list indicator. I do all of the control for the list indicator value, increase/decrease in the PLC so I can control its value.

I just ran the screen in test mode on my desktop (connected to the PLC) and the behavior appears to be the same. I can alternate between two buttons clicking each as fast as I can, and the focus will show on each button. But when I try to click one of those buttons at the same rate as I alternated between the two, it does not register every click.

The items are all normally open push buttons, and they are tied to PLC addresses, not HMI internal tags.

I am using some of the buttons to increase/decrease the value of a list indicator. I do all of the control for the list indicator value, increase/decrease in the PLC so I can control its value.

I just ran the screen in test mode on my desktop (connected to the PLC) and the behavior appears to be the same. I can alternate between two buttons clicking each as fast as I can, and the focus will show on each button. But when I try to click one of those buttons at the same rate as I alternated between the two, it does not register every click.

How quickly do you need to press the button? And how long is the delay after pressing a button before it becomes "available" again?
You stated that your screen update rate and button hold times were both set at 50ms, so you can't go any faster there. You said you have logic in the PLC to handle increment/decrmenting if the button was held pressed, so why do you need to quickly press the same button repeatedly? Just curious.
This sounds somewhat similar to the issue I was having in this thread. But I'm unclear whether you are able to hold the buttons and have the tag update immediately in the PLC. Also, in my situation, I was able to run the app successfully on the laptop, but not on the terminal.

I don't like the "Momentary Pushbutton" in the PanelView Plus. Among other things, it's notorious for leaving the value in the "On" state when used with a noisy or unreliable network.

What I have done instead is to replace the Momentary pushbutton object with a Maintained pushbutton object.

Leave the Next State selection set for "Current State", and in the States tab, set both State 0 and State 1 values = 1.

In your PLC program, after the logic that evaluates this "pushbutton", add a rung that sets the value of the pushbutton to zero, either with an OTU, or an always-false OTE, or even a CLR or MOV 0 into a whole word full of them.

This creates a true "one-shot momentary" button. The bit is only true between the time the PanelView writes it to the controller and the time that the bit-clearing rung executes.

I could add repeating logic to the list indicator inc/decr buttons, but that would not fix the slower response rate when pressing other momentary buttons on the screen. I have some buttons that I take care of latching inside the PLC, and I have to wait approximately 1 second or so after pressing them once to be able to press them again and have the PV recognize the button push.

We have other PV Plus screens in our facility, and I don't remember them being this slow to respond. I will have to do some investigating. Either way, our old trusty 1400e's did not respond this slowly.

Not familiar with the PV+6, but in PV+600/700 there is the Maximum Tag Update Rate setting in each screen display settings.
It is 1 sec by default, try to reduce it.

I mentioned in my original post that I had the tag update rate for the screen set to 50ms. I have some numeric indicators on the screen for some analog input values, and those change very rapidly, so I don't think it is the tag update rate, but rather something to do with how the PV processes button presses.

Ken, how would your method work with buttons that have multiple indicator states? (pump start/run for example)

I generally use that method for pushbuttons without indication; most of my labeled or illuminated pushbuttons are actual Maintained or Interlocked buttons, or the indication of the affected logic is in another object (like a numeric display or multi-state Indicator).

I'd have to test to see.