Fault Signal

GregPLC

I have a question about getting a fault signal onto ethernet. We have the critical water systems in our plant, our well water system, our boiler feedwater system, and our RO water system. We have these new pump controllers running the pump motors...The pump controllers are a Goulds product, they're a VFD with some more advanced features than most. I would like to know, other than locally when one of these drives faults or trips out. On each drive there is a fault relay, which now we have a local light and horn tied to. I would like to SOMEHOW get this onto Ethernet. Not only that, once I get it onto the Ethernet, what sort of software would I use to see at our PC's at our desks when a drive trips out? So to simplify my question, how to I get from that 120VAC fault circuit to my PC? Using a PLC? How? I have the ability to get a PLC on the Ethernet netowrk in these locations....I would prefer to use AB stuff, but not restriced to it. And then how and what kind of software would I use on my PC to recognize this? I greatly appreciate any input on this.

Greg

Goulds is a great pump company, but they don't build their own VFDs. Find out the brand of VFD used, and contact the manufacturer. You may be able to stick an option card on the VFD to talk Modbus or Devicenet or some such.

Barring that, you can probably put Flex I/O or AutimationDirect remote I/O or Opto 22 or whatever that will give you ethernet. You will have to proram the VFD I/O to give you the critical data.

Tom Jenkins

Tom they are actually Woods drives, and they are Aquavar pump controllers ADDED to these drives which is made by Goulds. Go to the goulds site, and look at the aquavar pump controllers. I called my AB rep and he said I could use a micrologix, with a NetENI module, which will send an e-mail to our email server when an event happens.

Thanks for the help

Greg ......Tom, I'm in Milwaukee too!!! Actually up in Germantown, I reside in Milwaukee though.

If you can get VFD faults to PLC inputs, you can connet plc to pc and in PC RSLinx-OPC-Server/Read method is possible use in C++ or VB application or use some Scada appliction.