PLC5 to CLX with 1771-ASB

You should have been able to select v26 from the drop-down menu and have the project converted to v26, then open up in Studio 5000 Logix Designer.

The fact that it did not do so is probably linked to your failed installation attempts.

If you ZIP and post the project here, folks might be able to convert it to v26 and get you over that hump.

Ken,

Thanks. I appreciate that very much.

I can open Studio5000 v26, but it reverts to RSLogix5000 v020.04 when I open it. In 20.04 controller properties I can select ver 26, it does show as an option, but won't take it.

Unfortunately the Zip file is too big, so I put it here, that this forum seems to like a lot.

I don't have v26 installed, so I took a shot and converted to v24. If you have a Studio 5000 installation that will open and run at all, it should open this and recommend that you convert it to v26.

When you do a change of controller from the RSLogix 5000 era (v20 and before) to the Studio 5000 era (v21 and after), the software should accept your change of controller Version then appear to not respond for about a minute. It will automatically close RSLogix 5000 and open Studio 5000 Logix Designer, presenting a "Converting Project" progress box.

I also took the liberty of moving each of your Programs into the Continuous Task. This is more like the Main Control Program (MCP) method of program execution scheduling used by the PLC-5 controller.

Executing a bunch of EVENT tasks from the Main Program in the Continuous Task is going to create a mess of overlapping tasks with competing priorities. It's almost certainly better (and far more conventional) to simply make separate Programs that execute in order (top to bottom in the Controller Organizer) in the Continuous Task.

I also noted that your project shows an ancient 1756-ENET/B module. These have been obsolete since the mid-2000's so unless you absolutely have to use it, I recommend a modern 1756-ENBT or 1756-EN2T.

I sent you a link to a DropBox copy of the file directly in your private messages.

Ken,

Thanks. I got the file. And Studio 5000 v26 does open for me.

I did think about all those event tasks and wonder why they converted that way, but figured the Rockwell engineer that wrote the converter to do that must have known more than I do.

I also installed ver26 on my home computer and got the same result when trying to change (EDIT: the original file) to v26

As for the ENET module, I just guessed and picked one, I have yet to get the actual module number from the rack in use yet.

Ken,

I just check on the line and the Etherent card is 1756-ENBT /A. I don't know the revision number, but with A I am guessing 1, if I have to change it later I will.

I didn't realize that the EVENT structure came from the conversion tool ! Learn something new every day, I guess.

In the PLC-5 era, I only once did a project where I used multiple Main Control Programs, which ran in sequence, designated "A" through "P".

Check out your original PLC-5 program to see if it used multiple MCPs, or if it went with the more common method of allowing MCP "A" to run Program File 2, and then the user program used JSR instructions to jump to subroutines, usually every scan. Often a PLC-5 program's File 2 contained only a handful of utility logic like "No Faults" or "One Second Flasher" and then a set of JSR rungs.

The 1756-ENBT module is the second-generation Ethernet module for the ControlLogix family, perfectly capable and appropriate for I/O and HMI/editing access to the controller. The current firmware revision is 6.006, but you can just enter whatever the highest version that's in the drop-down list when you create the module.

I don't think the 1756-ENBT ever had anything but Series A hardware.

The PLC is set for all MCP programs, with all but the fault routine set to Skip IO Update

I searched and there are no JSR, JMP or SBR's in the project.

EDIT:
And, forgot to mention, when I checked the Ethernet card I noticed it was a 4 slot rack, not 7 that I setup originally.

Capture2.JPG

Last edited:
Neat ! Thanks for sharing that information.

I wouldn't bother with the output processing disable function. When you didn't check those boxes in the PLC-5, the controller would scan inputs, run one MCP program, write outputs, then do the same cycle for another MCP. In your example you could have scanned the I/O six times before you got around to the first MCP again. Instead it scanned the inputs, ran all the MCPs in sequence, then wrote the outputs.

ControlLogix I/O is asynchronous to the program scan, so you have to think about it differently anyhow.

Disabling output processing saves you a millisecond or two when you have a Task that doesn't actually write to any Output tags.