Kollmorgen Automation Suite (KAS)

Elcan

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi All,
For several projects my company has been using Trio motion controllers along with Kollmorgen servo drives and motors.
In my opinion, the Trio software sucks, and it doesn't have data structures (like user data types -UDT- in Allen Bradley) and online edits, among others things.

I'm considering replacing the Trio controller with a Kollmorgen controller. Aside from a better compatibility between the motion controller and the servo drives (all components would be Kollmorgen), it seems that KAS has structures and online edits.
The software license is not free like Trio, but it would be a one time fee for my company (like $1,000).

What has been your experience with Kollmorgen Automation Suite (KAS)?

Thank you!

I don't have any experience with Kollmorgen or their software, so I can't say. However, if you are considering replacing the controller as to have better software, have you considered Delta Motion controllers with their RMC Tools software? The software is free and I'm a big fan of it. However, I don't believe it has online edit capability, but you can call them to confirm. When you make a program change, you have to download the change to the controller, which means stopping the program task. I'm using the controller for Moog servo valves and it works great.

https://deltamotion.com/products/motion/

I don't have any experience with Kollmorgen or their software, so I can't say. However, if you are considering replacing the controller as to have better software, have you considered Delta Motion controllers with their RMC Tools software? The software is free and I'm a big fan of it. However, I don't believe it has online edit capability, but you can call them to confirm. When you make a program change, you have to download the change to the controller, which means stopping the program task. I'm using the controller for Moog servo valves and it works great.

https://deltamotion.com/products/motion/

Thank you for your feedback!
I'm actually in need of the online capability. The user structures is also a must. And the fact that everything would be Kollmorgen (motors, drives and PLC).

Therefore, my main interest here is to hear comments about the Kollmorgen automation platform, more than other alternatives.