Point IO Micrologix1100 via Eth. IP?

mzobrest

Anybody know if I can add Point IO to a Micrologix 1100 via Eithernet IP?
Seems like it should be do-able, but I can't see how to do it in the software and I can't find any examples online. Somebody must know something! 🍺

Short answer no.

Apparently it could possibly be done by explicit messaging. I don't think it is recommended by RA, and would think that the time to develop & test would out-weigh the costs of other options.

Maybe a 2nd ML1100 would be an option, then msg between them?

MicroLogix 1100 is designed, built, advertised, and supported with local Bulletin 1762 expansion I/O only.

In theory, it is possible to read inputs and set outputs in POINT I/O using CIP Explicit Messaging from any controller that allows that message type, including the MicroLogix 1100 Series B and the MicroLogix 1400.

In practice, it is not supported. This isn't just the tepid "we haven't tested it" form of "not supported". Rockwell Automation Technical support will refuse to support it, as should anyone who is associated with the sales, distribution, and support of those products.

I very strongly recommend against attempting it.

Distributed I/O on EtherNet/IP is supported exclusively by ControlLogix family controllers, including the ControlLogix, CompactLogix, FlexLogix, DriveLogix, and SoftLogix.

MicroLogix 1100 is designed, built, advertised, and supported with local Bulletin 1762 expansion I/O only.

Many years later

HI all old thread i know but ive recently used 3 off ML1100s and the MSG instruction with Multihop and its a valuable tool the only thing id say is use a timer DN set to 1 sec to trigger the MSG as the MSG buffer can get a bit tied up if you'd like the .rss Files PM me

PS the MSG instruction works great with a 525 also