Wonderware InTouch 2017 - User Level Security

rajy2r

I have generally not been required to implement security in InTouch applications, so if there has ever been a need, then have used the InTouch security, where you create the username and password and set access levels.

Have a customer who would like to implement Active Directory server for credentials. It's a standalone application, so wondering what is the best way to implement this. The Application runs on a VMWare and the users can login via a ThinClient or we can create a generic view account and then login to InTouch. I noticed in the help, there is scripting you can use for user groups.

If multiple users are login into the machine, would it not cause the application to start/stop everytime a user logs on/off ? Or is there a way around it.

Would appreciate some feedback.

Being familiar with VNC or TeamViewer, I know in a thinclient sense that you can definitely login to the same computer to view the instance at the same time and both have a separate mouse control which is pretty entertaining. This should allude to the fact that the capability for multiple users to login into a client computer and see the same application is possible (if that is sort of what you're trying to do credentials aside).

The multiple users logging in without the application crashing, closing or rebooting is definitely possible....just not certain about the active directory connection. I'm not 100% on what you're trying to do, but perhaps this feed will give you some pointers on the security level credentials you're looking for if using Archestra:

https://knowledge.insourcess.com/Wonderware_InTouch_HMI/Tech_Notes/TN_IT289_Configuring_OS_Security_for_InTouch_Managed_Applications

What protocol is being used for the thin client to connect into the VM? If you are using Active directory i would assume RDC but I have come across both thin clients using VNC and RDC to connect.