Slightly OT: Lamp Test Pushbutton

Back in the old days when we actually had hardwired control systems we used pilot lights designed with a "push-to-test" function built in (like jreaf described). I'm pretty sure we used A-B hardware like 800 series. They have dropped out of favor over the years with PLC controls. I agree that the function should simply turn on all the lights. The original purpose was to detect burnt out bulbs, and even though LEDs are not as failure prone, the function is the same.

Bottom line, if the statement stands that "it must be hardwired to the pilot lights". There is only one way to meet that requirement. You need pilot lights with a "push-to-test" feature.

I guess that is what I described in previous post. I remember the "push to test" lights from AB. But is would be same as I described to build a "push to test" function with a lighted pushbutton that has 1 NC contact block and 1 NO contact block.