Windows 10 VM with Studio 5000

irondesk40

Could someone share which VM you are using with Windows 10 pc to run studio 5000 software?
Thanks, lots of issues trying to get some versions to work.

I have Windows 7 Ultimate VM's setup on my computers.

As for running newer versions of Studio 50000 go to Properties / Compatibility and set both the launcher and LogixDesigner to compatibility mode for Windows Vista, and Run As Administrator. I usually do this in the All Users menu.

Capture.JPG

Thanks
Is that how you are running Logix in the VM?
I had to do that for v23 in order to get it work on the new Windows 10 pc that i just got.

If you load a VM on a windows 10 machine in order to be able to use Studio 5000 to run versions that do not work correctly- do you have studio 5000 loaded and running in Windows 10 and in the VM?

I have Studio5K on all of my desktops (all 10 Pro) and one in a Win7 VM.

The setup shown is on all the desktops, I didn't have to do that on the VM.

To install Studio on a VM you do not have to have it installed on the desktop, if I read your question right.

sorry for the confusion.

What i was wondering was if you are running a VM on a windows 10 machine, do you have Studio 5000 installed and running within the VM?

Also do you have Studio 5000 running in regular Windows 10?
That way you could start Studio 5000 normally on the Win 10 machine and work with versions of Studio that AB claims are fully supported in Win 10.
Also, if you had to work with a older version of Studio that was not verified to run in Win10, you could start the VM and run it under Windows 7.

Our IT group installs Win 10 Enterprise instead of Pro, the same with Windows 7, it was Enterprise as well.

What i had to do was copy the full Studio 5000 installation software onto the hard drive of the Windows pc. The reason was that anytime i selected to start or opern a Sudio 5000 program, Windows would start the whole installation process over again. Once i copied the Studio 5000 software onto the hard drive fo the Win 10 machine that stopped and then i could start a V23 program normally.
Wierd, but the AB distributor rep that came in to visit said he had seen it before.

I do have Studio installed on the desktop and in a VM. I doubt that Windows being Pro, Ultimate or Enterprise would make any difference.

The problem with that though is Factory Talk activation Manager would have to have a ($,$$$) license on each. I have my license on Rockwell's USB Dongle-2 and can attach it to the desktop or the VM to use it, but not both at the same time. And, if the license is installed on the hard drive the VM FTAM would not see it.

thanks, i also use the usb dongle. mine is the large green dongle.
flew to honduras once to work on some of waste water controls and the pc died and it was a pain to try and get RSLogix 500 installed on pc they had and then activate it.
After that switched to the dongle and a portable hard drive with all of my software installed on it when i now have to go to Europe, or Asia or South America.

After that switched to the dongle and a portable hard drive with all of my software installed on it...

Exactly the setup I use.

And able to RemotePC, TeamViewer, RealVNC & Chrome Remote Desktop into my home computers for files and uncommon downloads. (all 4 services can't be down at once)

I do all of my development work in VMs these days and have been for 5+ years. I use VMWare Workstation Pro (14.1.7 at the moment). My laptop host is Windows 10, version 1903, but I started using VMs with Windows 7 as the host.

I have a Windows 7 VM for RSLogix v10-v20 and a Windows 10 VM for RSlogix v20+ and Studio5000.

What I've done for the license issue if you don't have a server you can store your licenses.

I keep the licenses on my host and have a network to all my VMs as host only. Then the VMs can check out the licenses as needed. The only annoying thing is when you pause a session and open a session on another VM the license is held by the first VM. This hasn't stopped work for me but when running 3 VMs it can be annoying.

What I have do is build a clean VM and install a base system with all the Rockwell products I need. When I need new versions I just duplicate the Clean VM and install the newer versions.

This is a question in regards to the opposite. I run Windows 7 Pro and would like to install windows 10 and use it for the main computer. I know that it would be a task so is it possible to run Windows 7 and the main OS and use windows 10 thru VM ware? I know that's an odd question. I just don't know how I would install VM ware and ghost the current )S onto the VM ware enable W10 as the main OS.

Several questions here...

Yes, you can run a windows 10 VM on PC running Windows 7.

Yes, you can run a windows 7 VM on PC running Windows 10.

The way I handle licenses on my laptop:
I have FT Activation Manager on my laptop, my licenses are installed to my laptop and linked to my harddrive serial number. No other Rockwell software is installed directly on the laptop.

Each VM has FT Activation Manager installed. Path to activations is set to the computer name of my laptop. Various configurations of Rockwell software are installed on different VMs. Most common is different versions of FTView, they each take a VM.

If you are not sure what to put for "computer name", go into VMWare workstation -> Help -> About VMWare Workstation. Under additional information - Host Name will be your computer name. It shows a fully qualified computer name.domain name. I just used the "computer name" part and it worked fine.

Note that I do not borrow licenses, I just point to the FT Activation Manager on the laptop. I use VMWare Workstation 12 Pro at the moment.

Last edited:
1.) Install in order! Installing versions out of order or going back and installing a skipped version really sucks.
2.) Use Troubleshoot Compatability when installing older versions!

I have a windows 10 vm (10.0.18362 Build 18362) with RSlogix 5000 version 10 - though Studio 5000 version 32. (version 8 can not install), To install version RSlogix 10-15 or so, you need to search some archives for a .net1.1 installer and the .net1.1 updater.
Install the .net1.1 installer and updater then install version 10. Version 10-13 or so will report failure at the end of the install, after the install failure, install the next version. (I do not open RSLogix or Studio 5000 untill i am at the latest verison.) I have been using 10-13 just fine with the failed install in the super rare cases that an L1 needs work or replaced. Install the old .net1.1 framework using troubleshooting compatibility, and install versions 10 through 20 or even higher with using Troubleshoot Compatability."

"Troubleshooting Compatability" will fake the software out by thinking it is a windows XP, Vista, or Windows 7 machine.

Its nice to have rsview32 on windows 10,( i have not tried this yet personally.)

Image of my VM's Version 10 in windows 10.

Untitled.png

Last edited: