Windows 10 VM with Studio 5000

We recently set up a Win10 VM with Logix 5000/Designer. Having trouble opening any files as it keeps asking for a login and I don't know what credentials it wants.

"Log On to FactoryTalk - Network"

Edit: the solution is the use the FactoryTalk Directory Configuration Wizard and enter system admin credentials.

Last edited:
1.) Install in order! Installing versions out of order or going back and installing a skipped version really sucks.
2.) Use Troubleshoot Compatability when installing older versions!

I have a windows 10 vm (10.0.18362 Build 18362) with RSlogix 5000 version 10 - though Studio 5000 version 32. (version 8 can not install), To install version RSlogix 10-15 or so, you need to search some archives for a .net1.1 installer and the .net1.1 updater.
Install the .net1.1 installer and updater then install version 10. Version 10-13 or so will report failure at the end of the install, after the install failure, install the next version. (I do not open RSLogix or Studio 5000 untill i am at the latest verison.) I have been using 10-13 just fine with the failed install in the super rare cases that an L1 needs work or replaced. Install the old .net1.1 framework using troubleshooting compatibility, and install versions 10 through 20 or even higher with using Troubleshoot Compatability."

"Troubleshooting Compatability" will fake the software out by thinking it is a windows XP, Vista, or Windows 7 machine.

Its nice to have rsview32 on windows 10,( i have not tried this yet personally.)

Image of my VM's Version 10 in windows 10.

Just FYI they have multi installers that install all the old versions of studio 5000 up to the latest in one install and a legacy installer that does RS Logix 5000 V12 thru 20 I think.

We recently set up a Win10 VM with Logix 5000/Designer. Having trouble opening any files as it keeps asking for a login and I don't know what credentials it wants.

"Log On to FactoryTalk - Network"

Edit: the solution is the use the FactoryTalk Directory Configuration Wizard and enters system admin credentials.

You normally see this after the FT Directory is installed and the Domain or workgroup gets changed or the computer name or SID gets changed which breaks the FT Directory.

Exactly the setup I use.

And able to RemotePC, TeamViewer, RealVNC & Chrome Remote Desktop into my home computers for files and uncommon downloads. (all 4 services can't be down at once)

I wouldn't use RealVNC to access my home network remotely (ok for use on the LAN) if so I would definitely be using 2FA with it.

Another or better alternative is something like Zerotier which is a free SD-WAN and will give you layer 2 / 3 access on your network (like being physically plugged in and you can get to all your network assets like NAS, Printers, other computers, router, etc from your remote station and when set up with MFA is very secure.

https://www.zerotier.com/