22-COMM-E / Giving it a IP Address using BootP with it's MAC Address

Cydog

Good Evening ,

I have done this many of times. I take a 22-COMM-E , plug it into a PowerFlex 40 , plug the Ethernet Cable in the 22-COMM-E , plug it in the laptop , open BootP and it sees that MAC Address , and I set the IP Address.

This time I tried it , it just sits there listening ....... It eventually says "Open Socket" . I tried another board , same thing . Tried another Powerflex 40 Drive , same thing. Tried another laptop , same thing. The only thing left is the Ribbon Cable. Apparently the spare 22-COMM-E boards we have , did not have ribbon cables with them. The maintenance manager bought a bunch of Ribbon Cables off EBay . I can't imagine all these ribbon cables are bad :(

Is there any other way of giving these 22-COMM-E boards a IP Address that you know of ?

Thanks so much in advance ,

So the PowerFlex 40 built in HIM will not do the same thing ? Have you folks ever had any issues with the 22-COMM-E and BootP ?

Thanks in advance

My bad. I was thinking of the powerflex 70, which doesn't have the built in HIM. Sorry for the misinformation.

Is it possible BOOTP has been disabled or are these brand new cards?

A couple of things to check:
1. Are all your other network adaptors (e.g. wifi) switched off/disabled? If not, this will often prevent BOOTP traffic from showing up in the tool
2. Try temporarily turning off your firewall and any antivirus software. If that solves the problem you may need to configure exceptions to this software in your firewall/AV
3. Did you definitely select the right network card when you launched the BOOTP utility?
4. You could try wireshark, to see if it's a case of the BOOTP requests being "on the wire" but just not showing up in your utility, vs the BOOTP requests not being generated at all

Thanks for your suggestions .

• What is Wire Shark , and how does it work ?

• I tried all the options except the wireless options .

• Also , I'm curious , is there any other IP assignment software like BootP ?

I will try your suggestions tomorrow morning .

Thanks so much ,

Wireshark is software that allows you to capture and inspect every packet on an ethernet port. If BOOTP requests are coming into your laptop's ethernet port, wireshark will be able to record them. It's free software and an absolutely essential diagnostic tool for any network-based troubleshooting. Although I'm only a very, very novice user, it's helped me locate problems many times that I'd have had no chance at finding otherwise.

Forgetting to disable your wireless adaptor is (in my experience) the #1 reason the BOOTP utility doesn't work. I do all my programming in VM's, and when I get to site to commission, the first thing I do is disconnect all but the hardwired virtual ethernet adaptor from my VM, until I've got everything addressed and communicating. Otherwise you're just bound to have problems.

Phoenix do have a similar utility. I downloaded it and tried it once, and it didn't work. It's probably something I was doing wrong more so than a flaw with the software, but at the end of the day I went "well, it doesn't seem significantly better than RA's anyway, even if it did work" so I just figured I'd stick with the one that I already have. I've found it to be very reliable as long as you remember things like firewalls, interfering network adaptors, and so on.

Thanks for your input . I think it was just some bad used ribbon cables .
BootP was not allowing the 22-COMM-E to keep the IP Address , so I used
a Keyence IP Setting Tool version 1.0 I got a few years ago . I like it better
than BootP . If I find the link , I will post it .

Thanks again ,