RS232/DF1 1747-BAS Problems, need help

klm

Maybe you guys can help I’d like to get to the bottom of this.

Here’s my problem: I want to have two RS232/DF1 port’s .
I have a SLC 5/03 (1747-L531 E rev 8 OS = 1747-OS302 ser C FRN 8)

The SLC 5/03 Has one RS232/DF1 port already (of course).

I added a 1746-BAS module to the rack – to give me an extra RS232/DF1 port to use.
The 1746-BAS Module is: 1746-BAS SER C FRN 6

Using Hyper-Terminal – And a Null Modem Cable I connected to the 1746 Module, PRT1.
I powered up the 1746-BAS Module – I got the start-up banner- “1746 BAS FIRMWARE 7.0 ALLEN-BRADLEY Blah, Blah …”

While using hyper-terminal I used the MODE command.
Then I used CALL 31 to verify the MODE setting for PRT2.
CALL gave me this:
>CALL 31
19200 Baud
Hardware Handshaking OFF
1 stop bit
No Parity
8 Bits

Then Using CALL 108 to Enable DF1 On PRT2, I typed in the following:
>10 PUSH 16
>20 PUSH 200
>30 PUSH 2
>40 PUSH 4
>50 PUSH 4
>60 PUSH 9
>70 CALL 108
[CNTRL Q] (to exit out)

Then I typed "RUN" and pressed [ENTER].
The Module took the settings (as far as I can tell).
Everything acted Okay.

I cannot get this port to work – RSLinx (running DF1) does not see it.
I’ve tried different baud rates, I tried different port setting (too numerous to mention). Turning RSLinx OFF -back ON. Pwr Mod down/Up.
I read thru the AB manuals, Different PLC forums. This has been going on for at least
A couple of days, if not more. I can’t figure it out –so that is why I am asking for your help.

Any info at all is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
K-

Are you wanting to be able to program through the BAS module? I don't believe that's possible...

And RSLinx shouldn't be able to see it. All you can do with it is interface it to some serial device out in the field (scale, printer, etc.)

Correct OZEE, I wanted to be able to program through the BAS Module.
I guess that's not possible huh.
You're also correct about the RSLinx - I couldn't get the RSLinx to be able to see it (The BAS module). Looks like I'm going to have to figure something else out.

Thanks for the help OZ -

K-

Mickey,
Just curious, does that BAS module act like a slave type where it can listen and respond to commands from the cpu but not initiate them? I also wonder where I can find a manual on programming it.
Thanks.

Mickey,
Just curious, does that BAS module act like a slave type where it can listen and respond to commands from the cpu but not initiate them? I also wonder where I can find a manual on programming it.
Thanks.

ASCII DATA TRANSFER:

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/td/1746-td009_-en-p.pdf

REFERENCE MANUAL:

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/rm/1746-rm001_-en-p.pdf

USER MANUAL:

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/1746-um004_-en-p.pdf

INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS:

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/1746-um004_-en-p.pdf

Stu.....

Will 1747-KE modules be an option?

That way you can run DH485 out of the CPU through to 1 or more KE cards and get as many DF1 ports as you want.

Andy

This thread had been dormant for nearly 10 years when our new user posted only that it was helpful, but had no additional questions.

So I expect the issue to be moot.

I wonder if the Forum software has the ability to let a moderator lock a thread so it becomes read-only, specifically to address old "zombie" threads that should be only referenced, not revived.