IOlink SINT data in AB logix designer convert to decimal

Hi all! looking for help converting an 8 bit word SINT tag into decimal. I have an IFM SBN246 flow sensor wired in my controller (L310ER) and it auto generates the controller tags for the sensor data. I need to somehow convert one of the SINT tags into decimal so i can display the flow value. I tried aliasing the tag to a decimal tag but the signs bit makes it go positive then negative.

Thanks for any help!

Ben

Welcome to the PLCTalk Forum community !

In general, the SINT data type is already "in decimal" if you view it as decimal instead of hex or binary or ASCII.

But you probably just need it to be in an INT or DINT format, so that the most-significant bit is treated as 2^8, not the sign bit.

Are you certain the data is just 8 bits unsigned (an "unsigned 8 bit integer") or is it 16 bits and just never gets to the value 512 or higher so it just shows up in the lower 8 bits ?

The easiest way to do this, especially if the SINT after yours is zero, is to do a CPS instruction with a destination tag of INT type, and a Length of 1.

Ken,

Thanks for the quick response. I tried the CPS instruction but the result is always zero? (unless i screwed it up somehow) I have attached a couple shots of how IFM parses out the data and a screen capture of my tag values with some flow present at the sensor.

Any other ideas?

ifm data map.PNG channel 2 data.PNG

Whoops! I think i got it, copying to an INT works WAAAYYY better when you actually run the routine with the instructions...(facepalm). Thanks to everyone who replied!!