Studio5000/powerflex 40

To confirm: if every drive on the daisy-chain has Parameter A104 set = 100, then multi-drive mode won't work, and you will see that red PORT LED. They all must have a unique node number.

The one with the 22-COMM-E should be A104 = 100, and the others 101, 102, 103, 104.

Fascinating thread.

I know nought about drives, but I have dealt with master, slaves and node addresses on RS-485 and RS-422 multi-drop setups in other contexts. Once I read the docs and got my head around the idea it was pretty straightforward, and in line with what Ken is describing for multi-drive mode operation.

There is something to be said for having all comm parameters, including node addresses, set via DIP switches: it may be cheaper to build, and easier to set things up initially via a screen because grokking the correlation between decimal addresses and their equivalent binary form in DIP switches is not everyone's cup of tea, but the long-term advantage of the simplicity of maintenance staff knowing that to replace a device they need to duplicate the DIP switch positions without understanding what each switch means seems far more valuable. From what I am reading here, it appears that not having such a setup, along with inadequate (non-existent?) documentation, is why the system failed in the first place and was switched over to the pots, because that was what could be understood.

I look forward to the next chapter in the saga ...

You should have see the drive before I cleaned the front off lol. I also had about 1ft of plastic bottles to wade through the first time i went into this MCC room. I did see the table that you mentioned in the manual and got a little confused. It showed the addresses as you mention with the 1,2,3,4 but then when I looked in the drive manual it showed default 100 which is what most the drives were set for. I sketched out the cables that I traced out and how they are currently wired along with the A104 node address parameters. To me the terminating resistor location didn't look correct but this is how I found it. The operators say it worked but nobody can tell me how long ago this was or when it quit working. With the drives node addresses being set wrong it probably stopped working when a drive went out and was changed and then not set accordingly. Does the node address for the 4 drives being controlled matter? That's where i was getting confused. Not sure how I figure out what node address to set the four drives on the DSI port. CV5 is the only drive that the node address is not default (103). Should I just set set CV19 to 101, CV27 to 102 and CV49 to 103. Power each drive down and back up and then see if the dsi network comes back up ok?
drbitboy, you are correct in the fact that there is no documentation available for any of the wiring or parameters settings. From tracing out the wiring I've gotten the motor controls figured out in each of the 3 MCC's and am currently working on schematics for those. There are a few jr. electricians there so i wanted them to have something to trouble shoot with since i just work there part time doing projects and assisting in trouble shooting. There hasn't been a journeyman electrician/technician there in over 5 years I believe. they would call outside vendors in to fix anything they weren't able to figure out themselves. i think this is where things have gotten away from the auto features. They were able to get things back up and running when things broke but not 100% because of not knowing all the parameters that needed to be changed. All drives that are functioning i've been going through getting backups of the parameters and saved them on the laptop there so we don't go through this again. Also been going through doing a lot of labeling so hopefully nobody has to start from scratch again tracing wires out.

wiring.jpg

Excellent work !

You are correct about the need for unique A104 Node Address values for each drive connected to the daisy-chain cable. If any two of them have the same value, or if their values don't match the values configured in the 22-COMM-E, then there will be a red fault light for the PORT LED, because the DSI Port can't run properly.

Determining which drive should be "Drive 1" or "Drive 2" is probably up to you as the responsible person.

My arbitrary recommendation is to number them "left to right". You might disagree and want "lowest numbered node = lowest numbered CV#".

The termination resistors should be installed at the physical ends of the daisy-chain, regardless of addressing or which node is the "master". Having it installed with the cable going off as a "drop" is likely not a problem if it's not a long cable of more than 30 feet or so, but ideally put the termination resistors at the physical ends.

wiring_annotated.png

Go into the program and examine the logic (if any) that is connected to each pair of INT words in the Input and Output assemblies for the PowerFlex 40 with the 22-COMM-E in Multi-Drive mode. That might let you infer which "multi drop" node to configure for which drive.

When you're running multi-drive mode with 5 total drives, the Generic Ethernet Module is set up for INT data type:

Input Assembly = 1, 12 INT
Output Assembly = 2, 10 INT
Config Assembly = 6, 0 INT

This is how the I/O tags would work, for the arbitrary designations I used in my previous post:

Controller_Tags.PNG