Red Lion G310 Modbus Comms

pauly

I have an application which includes a belt weigher control unit that is supposed to be able to talk Modbus RS485 , at the moment I am not sure which flavour. I have tried testing the serial comms to the unit with a spare Red Lion G310 display but without success. The Red Lion display was set as a Modbus universal master and I have tried RTU and Ascii formats. I have included a section of the manual to see if any body could suggest a better way of communicating. I know some people have used the programming function to achieve this before so any suggestions are welcome. In the attachment do you suppose the 3000 in slave(3000) in the attachment Modbus code 1 means register 3000 with the address as the offset? Do I nead to write code in the Red Lion to achieve this? If so I have never done this before so any help is appreciated

Do you have a list of the available registers in the unit? It could be our Ping Holding Register that is causing the problem. Without a full register list, I am not sure what value would be best, but you can use 0 to disable the ping. The Ping is located on the Extended tab of the device. Also, I suspect RTU as the example is all in HEX.

Based on the first image, it appears that your device is using floating point values. In order to read the value in the example, you will need a Real tag mapped to 400109 with the Data Type set to Word as Real. You will also need the Swap words transform, as we expect to see High then Low, but the example is showing Low then High.

Regards,
Dan

list of registers

The file is too big to attach to this post, but I will send to your Email address. No luck at all with communications to this weighing unit. The loopback test worked though.