allen bradley hardware

irondesk40

Anyone ever ordered from ****************
Reason i ask is that my local AB distributor has quoted me a price of 2562 for a compact logic 1769-l24er-qbfc1b and *********** has them in new factory unsealed for around 1400. Big difference.

Yes, but in case it goes bad, no problem with exchanging from local distributor, plus you are helping your local economy.

You should buy the cheaper option without warranty, then if it goes bad, you can get it repaired locally. Most local repair shops put a 2-year warranty on it, so that's the better option.

Or in your case, you can practically buy two for the price of one, so I wouldn't spend $2562 imo

Units bought on the "grey market" are either surplus stock from some company's storeroom bought at an auction, used, or sometimes defective product that was supposed to be destroyed, but was "diverted" by someone looking to make a buck. In all cases you are taking a chance. The best you can HOPE for is that it's the "NOS" (NOS = New Old Stock) from someone's storeroom, in which case it is often several revisions old and in some cases may not be capable of being upgraded, but you have absolutely no way of knowing for sure what you are getting.

Wow....that is helluva expensive....

Over here the list price from the authorised distributor is £1670, which equates to $2115, and we would normally get a good discount of around 20% on list....

Someone is at it...!!

Just buy it at the cheaper price.
The whole "AB Distributor System" exists only to charge a high price for very little benefit.
Yes and no. Most of the big distributor have their own support people you can call. A good option if one don't want to shell out for Rockwell Techconnect.

Many years ago I was a temp guy doing a project in the middle of no where. Found out the outfit that hired me didn't provide the right software license on the laptop. The support person I called for the local AB distributor drove 3 hours to give me a temp license so I can keep on working because the hardware was sold through them.

I keep seeing theme like this on this forum like the now infamous "why onepay for programming software" thread, the truth is, nothing is rarely free. It depends on your specific need whether skipping the distributor is a worthwhile trade off or not.

The whole "AB Distributor System" exists only to charge a high price for very little benefit.
In my opinion this statement applies to all industrial electrical distributors in the US. It is very frustrating to me to talk to a manufacturer to get information I need, then have to call a distributor for them to turn around and sometimes call the same person I just spoke with in order to get pricing to determine how much profit they want to make for creating the inconvenience to me of having to spend additional time and wait longer just to get a price. Worst yet is when they ship to their branch, require me to pick it up, but still charge me the shipping cost for bringing it into their branch.

If it wasn't for manufacturer's territory and price protection policies, I am convinced companies like AutomationDirect would have destroyed the current electrical distribution system by now.

I have bought quite a few for development and a couple for projects from an "authorized" distro that is out of area and have had ZERO problems. Place I bought from must have been ratted out 'cause they don't advertise AB any more but can still provide them at around half the cost.

I want to support my local as much as the next guy, and I do for bid projects , but when we feel taken advantage of this is what will happen. As for local support, this is what the high support contract prices are for, there should be no need to tip the local dealer in a system that doesn't allow competitive pricing. (i.e. the Apple model)

If someone else CAN sell for half the cost, that makes a statement about the pricing that is available. We have seen the manufactured product quality go downhill, all plastic junk, yet hardware and software pricing continues to go up and quality of both has gone down.

In all cases you are taking a chance.

I dont agree with that statement... if you look at my feedback you can see that I stand behind everything we sell, regardless of the condition, new, used or remanufactured https://www.plccable.com/feedback/ click on the links, I am not perfect but I do try to treat people the way I want to be treated.

I have bought and sold a lot from/to *********** and several other ebay dealers and if you buy from the right person you will not have issues.

When it comes to older stock, I have not had issues just flashing the firmware

irondesk40, I can save you a few bucks on the new but sold my used one last week https://www.plccable.com/search.php?search_query=1769-L24ER-QBFC1B&section=product

We have seen the manufactured product quality go downhill, all plastic junk, yet hardware and software pricing continues to go up and quality of both has gone down.

I think just the opposite, yes they have been trying to cut down on the cost but its been a long time that I opened a AB product and it did not work (many years)... I had one customer buy a P4 power supply that I exchanged out that had resistor broke off but other than that I have not had one not work out of the box in ten years, now this does not count when someone puts 120 volt to a 24 volt PLC but thats not AB or any manufactures fault.

And the plastic of today is not the same plastic we had 20 years ago, some is better than steel

And the plastic of today is not the same plastic we had 20 years ago, some is better than steel

Gotta disagree with ya there. Sure there are better plastics than 20 years ago available, but except for corrosion resistance or perhaps properties that don't matter here like friction, that's not true, its just cheaper to manufacture in plastic. These things aren't built out of some space age polymer, the material is selected to work with the needs of the mold.

The boards and circuits themselves are fine and I have no big history of broken AB hardware out of the box either. But the assemblies are flimsy and the software always has at least one flaw or strange artifact in each version.

If it wasn't for manufacturer's territory and price protection policies, I am convinced companies like AutomationDirect would have destroyed the current electrical distribution system by now.

Automation Direct's concept and website is second to none in the automation world. Im not the biggest fan of their software but the ease of getting their equipment makes for a great purchasing experience.

Other vendors should watch and learn.

Automation Direct's concept and website is second to none in the automation world. Im not the biggest fan of their software but the ease of getting their equipment makes for a great purchasing experience.

Other vendors should watch and learn.

I try and have like there website since they opened... and have been saying the same since then

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showpost.php?p=242290&postcount=22

That post was in 2007 just about the same time I opened my business, my only issue now with them is they have so many products... I shop a lot on mouser.com also, there website is OK but they have 4,500,641 products in stock and its a little hard to put that on a website.