Why does Step7 keep crashing? Do I need multiple versions of Step 7?

I've had a similar problem crashing Step7 when downloading the station into my PG with Step7 5.6, using MPI.

I had an older Notebook with Step7 5.5 available, which did the job successfully. After downloading the project with this device, I was able to open the project on my Step7 v5.6 Notebook which failed before, so I don't think it's a problem with the hardware catalog.

As I haven't read of someone else with this problem, I thought it was a problem only with my PG.

If I remember correctly, I was able to download the program blocks. But if I wanted to download the SDBs (System data blocks) Step7 crashed.

I've had a similar problem crashing Step7 when downloading the station into my PG with Step7 5.6, using MPI.

I had an older Notebook with Step7 5.5 available, which did the job successfully. After downloading the project with this device, I was able to open the project on my Step7 v5.6 Notebook which failed before, so I don't think it's a problem with the hardware catalog.

As I haven't read of someone else with this problem, I thought it was a problem only with my PG.

If I remember correctly, I was able to download the program blocks. But if I wanted to download the SDBs (System data blocks) Step7 crashed.

Odd.

I have read a few posts on the siemens forum detailing the same problem that I'm having, but nobody ever posted a solution. If I figure out this problem I will make the effort to come back and post what I did.

I had to upgrade from 5.3 to 5.5 on win 7 pro, however speaking to our supplier he said you would probably be better to go to TIA, so bit the bullet & went for TIA, however although you can monitor the older hardware you cannot make changes, Siemens told me you need V5.5 for win 7 and older hardware. However Siemens would not let me return the TIA as it had been opened, so I had to purchase V5.5. I also noticed that on many occasions going online etc. V5,5 Crashed, however I have not used it for some time now so I do not know if the crashing was because of V5.5, laptop setup, other software etc. but suspect it may be unstable on certain hardware/software even though it was introduced to be compatible with Win 7 & older hardware.
Have you tried it in XP compatible mode ?

I had to upgrade from 5.3 to 5.5 on win 7 pro, however speaking to our supplier he said you would probably be better to go to TIA, so bit the bullet & went for TIA, however although you can monitor the older hardware you cannot make changes, Siemens told me you need V5.5 for win 7 and older hardware. However Siemens would not let me return the TIA as it had been opened, so I had to purchase V5.5. I also noticed that on many occasions going online etc. V5,5 Crashed, however I have not used it for some time now so I do not know if the crashing was because of V5.5, laptop setup, other software etc. but suspect it may be unstable on certain hardware/software even though it was introduced to be compatible with Win 7 & older hardware.
Have you tried it in XP compatible mode ?
No I thought V5.6 was only a year or two old so it didn't seem intuitive that I would need to consider running in XP mode. But on your suggestion I looked it up and found that 5.5 was compatible with windows 7 64 bit, but 5.6 is only compatible with win7 64 if you have SP1. maybe that's the problem. I don't think I have SP1. Good tip.

Do you really need to upload the online configuration into your PG? This is only needed for backup purposes or when you don't have the original Step7 project.
If you want to make changes to the program, you would need the original Step7 project, otherwise you don't have any symbols or comments.

Except for the problem with uploading the project from one specific CPU, I have no problems with Step7 v5.6. Even making changes to the project where the upload failed are successful.

Do you really need to upload the online configuration into your PG? This is only needed for backup purposes or when you don't have the original Step7 project.
If you want to make changes to the program, you would need the original Step7 project, otherwise you don't have any symbols or comments.

Except for the problem with uploading the project from one specific CPU, I have no problems with Step7 v5.6. Even making changes to the project where the upload failed are successful.

Yes. I need to backup programs. Trying to build a repository of backups for all PLCs. Currently if my employer has any PLC problems their only option is purchase a pre-programmed PLC from the OEM with a 5X markup.

I forgot that the laptop I used for programming Win 7 was installed as 32 bit (IT Dept. not my Idea).
But that was in 2013 and it is still in use as there are a number of older programs we use.