siemens 1200 Block Move

Thank you very much, I didn't describe clearly, see attach for my questions

For at least that first step, can't you have the HMI pointing to the DB, instead of having the HMI point to the M and then copy to the DB?

For the Indirect addessing part, if you define the DB as a big array, then you can set an index based on your conditional and do the block move based on DBName.ArrayName[IndexTag].

Symbolic programming is your friend, you want to get away from absolute addressing if at all possible within the PLC.

For at least that first step, can't you have the HMI pointing to the DB, instead of having the HMI point to the M and then copy to the DB?

For the Indirect addessing part, if you define the DB as a big array, then you can set an index based on your conditional and do the block move based on DBName.ArrayName[IndexTag].

Symbolic programming is your friend, you want to get away from absolute addressing if at all possible within the PLC.

Thank you MK42,
This my first time use Siemens PLC, I was assigned a project, so I am thinking about it, how to do it, but it confuse me. so need your help!
how to do "For at least that first step, can't you have the HMI pointing to the DB, instead of having the HMI point to the M and then copy to the DB??
can i have a example?

Hello MK42
How can move HMI setting value( lots words) to global DB DB1? if I can use DB1.DBW as HMI tag and set it value?

I don't think I quite understood what you're looking to do.

If you are looking to access a bit out of a WORD length tag in the PLC, look at slice based addressing: (eg TagName.x0).

Are you trying to do indirect addressing in the HMI? Are you trying to declare HMI tags for overlapping bits, bytes, and words? I think you can do what you need to do if you set the DB for standard access (turn off Optimized access in the properties of the DB).

If your question is simply "can I access tags in the DB from the HMI" then the answer is "yes". If it is a Siemens HMI, then you can probably use Optimized or Standard. If it is a third party HMI, then you probably need Standard access.

How to move MW100--MW159 to global DB DB1? too many word need move!

Thanks for posting the image.

Please answer the following questions:

Which s7-1200 are you using? Which firmware?
Which HMI panel are you using?
Which version of TIA are using?
Have you decided to go with DBs and arrays and move your data that way?
Or are you stuck with working with what you described for whatever reason?

Have you started writing any code? Can you show us screen shots of your HMI related code that will move/change the data as I would like to know exactly what you want to achieve. Is it just a button click that should initiate the data move or a slider or input field or what exactly?

I am unlikely to able to answer your questions for two days but the above questions are important to get YOU the help YOU need and there are many knowledgable people on this forum and few have already tried to help and with more information they will steer you in the right direction.
Remember that we, OK I (don't want to speak for anyone else), don't know anything about you, your company, your software or your project. It could be that you're working on a new project entirely by yourself and have the flexibility to choose how to structure the data or you could be working on and existing project and stuck with whatever you they gave you. Only you know those details.

Cheers
Kal

Last edited:
Thank you MK42,
This my first time use Siemens PLC, I was assigned a project, so I am thinking about it, how to do it, but it confuse me. so need your help!
how to do "For at least that first step, can't you have the HMI pointing to the DB, instead of having the HMI point to the M and then copy to the DB??
can i have a example?

Follow this link to find an introduction to visualization with and example project. Pointing and HMI to the DB is expressed in that example and others as connecting HMI tags to DB. Basically you assign a tag to a control (like a button) on you HMI screen and then link that tag to a tag in a DB that exists in the PLC. Of course you can also connect an HMI tag to a PLC tag.
Don't waste too much time trying to understand the code in the example project just get to know the method and move on to another example and another and another

Follow this link to find an introduction to visualization with and example project. Pointing and HMI to the DB is expressed in that example and others as connecting HMI tags to DB. Basically you assign a tag to a control (like a button) on you HMI screen and then link that tag to a tag in a DB that exists in the PLC. Of course you can also connect an HMI tag to a PLC tag.
Don't waste too much time trying to understand the code in the example project just get to know the method and move on to another example and another and another

Thank you very much!

Have you started writing any code? Can you show us screen shots of your HMI related code that will move/change the data as I would like to know exactly what you want to achieve. Is it just a button click that should initiate the data move or a slider or input field or what exactly?

I am unlikely to able to answer your questions for two days but the above questions are important to get YOU the help YOU need and there are many knowledgable people on this forum and few have already tried to help and with more information they will steer you in the right direction.
Remember that we, OK I (don't want to speak for anyone else), don't know anything about you, your company, your software or your project. It could be that you're working on a new project entirely by yourself and have the flexibility to choose how to structure the data or you could be working on and existing project and stuck with whatever you they gave you. Only you know those details.

Cheers
Kal
Thank you very much, I will tell you detail later, I just plan to program this project, but I need to solve something, so I can start it.

Cheers
Kal

Thank you very much!
I just plan a project, But I didn't solve something on 1200, so I didn't start to write codes.
I will use Siemens CPU 1214, HMI-TP900, software TIA portal V13 sp1
My questions see attach.
yes, I decide go to global DBs and array and move data, for LAD, it seems as that this only way to move data in 1200

A.jpg

On the HMI have all of your addresses us DB's instead of M bits. Then you don't need to worry about moving data from M bits to DB's. That seems to be your main issue...

On the HMI have all of your addresses us DB's instead of M bits. Then you don't need to worry about moving data from M bits to DB's. That seems to be your main issue...

Thank you very much!
yes, it is. this is my mainly issue.
so can I use DB1.DBW0 in HMI, and through HMI set its value?

Is there a specific reason you are stuck on this 'indirect addressing'? Is it a requirement for the project?

TIA portal and the 1200 / 1500 PLC families are symbolic / tag based PLC's. Unless for some technical reason you NEED to deal with absolute addresses e.g. DB1.DBW2 you should be dealing with tags e.g. "PartDataDB.Dataset1"

Since you have a need to index and move through much data that is where Arrays and SCL will really shine.