Configuring point I/O for L16ER or L18ER

TL140

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have a controller that's either a L16ER or L18ER. I need to hook up a LED display timer. There are 3 outputs I need. One goes to start/stop of the timer. One is to reset it. And the last one is to a relay that sounds a buzzer when the countdown timer hits 0. I have the controls just fine, but here's the issue.

I ran out of outputs. HOWEVER, there are 2 point I/O modules hooked up to it. One of them holds an empty sink/source input module (99% of our inputs are on armor blocks) and the other one is a 24v source output module that I filled up with the start/stop and the reset.

Does anyone have a guide on how to remove the empty input module and add an output module in its place and configure it? How quick and painless is it? Also, can it be done in just RS5K? That and RSLinx Classic Lite are the only software that the company has on out maintenance laptop.

Last edited:
Should be the same as initial configuration however not sure if point I/O is hot swappable and doubt it matters because I think you're configuration will change, which means you will need to do a full upload, although I could be wrong I haven't done this in while.

If modules of different types are removed and returned to the wrong
locations, attempts to connect to these modules fail during verification
of Electronic Keying.

and yes RSLogix and RSLinx should be all you need

things to consider:

- make sure you save online program data so current set points don't get overwritten.

-Make sure that input module isn't intended for an upcoming upgrade.

-If it's and OEM machine you might want to get them to do it to avoid warranty issues.

you just need to change remove the old input module from your Point I/O config in your logix program and add the new output in its place.

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/1769-um021_-en-p.pdf

Last edited:
Another suggestion...

First...

The 1769-L16ER controllers support a maximum of 6 POINT I/O modules. The 1769-L18ER controllers support a maximum of 8 POINT I/O modules.

I don't know how many spare inputs are left for the controller's embedded I/O, but if they are used up or close to being used up, then might I suggest you leave the POINT I/O input module alone and add your output module as a third POINT I/O module. Even if the embedded I/O has plenty of inputs spare, it might be worth leaving it either way?

So, for your POINT I/O, you will then have 1 x input and 2 x output modules.

Do you just have and output module or do you also have a spare terminal base to go with it?

To physically add the output to the end of the chassis, you simply remove the chassis end cap - 9905-END from the last module's terminal base. Then slide in the terminal base for the new output module, making sure its connector blades are lined up and seated properly in the base you are adding to. Once happy that the new base is installed correctly, refit the 9905-END to the new terminal base. Note, this is just a protector cap and is not a terminating end cap.

In RSLogix 5000, or Logix Designer (firmware dependant) while offline, go to Controller Properties>General tab and under the Expansion I/O selection box, increase the number of modules by 1.

Then go to the I/O Configuration and drill down to the POINTBus where your existing POINT I/O modules are. Add a new module, selecting the catalog number for your new output module, such as 1734-OB8. Once the new module has been added to the POINTBus, the controller will automatically add the module-defined tags for the output module under the Controller Tags.

Save and download those changes to the controller. Go to Run Mode and check the properties of the new module, making sure there are no errors.

Your new output module should now be configured and ready to use.

You could also leave those last two outputs you've already used on the other output module as spares and assign your three required outputs at the beginning of the new output module.

Just another option to consider.

If you just want to swap the input module for the output then make the module change under the I/O Configuration offline, deleting the unused input module, replacing it with the output module. Save and download. The input module Controller Tags will be replaced with the output module's equivalent.

Regards,
George

Last edited:
Another suggestion...

I don't know how many spare inputs are left for the controller's embedded I/O, but if they are used up or close to being used up, then might I suggest you leave the POINT I/O input module alone and add your output module as a third POINT I/O module. Even if the embedded I/O has plenty of inputs spare, it might be worth leaving it either way?

Do you just have and output module or do you also have a spare terminal base to go with it?

Regards,
George

I am unsure if we have another POINT I/O terminal base but we do have plenty of expansion cards. If we do, I will definitely do this instead. Thanks for the comprehensive instructions. It seems like a simple process.

Edit: just found some 1734-MB's. Is that the correct number for the module expansion?

Last edited:
TL140 said:
I am unsure if we have another POINT I/O terminal base but we do have plenty of expansion cards. If we do, I will definitely do this instead. Thanks for the comprehensive instructions. It seems like a simple process.

Edit: just found some 1734-MB's. Is that the correct number for the module expansion?

Yes, well partly...

The 1734-MB is a Mounting Base but it is only one part of a complete wiring base assembly. A 1734-TB, as an example, is a complete wiring base assembly.

For a 1734-TB, this is the complete part number you order, but this will not be printed on any of the part stickers. The 1734-TB base assembly consists of the Mounting Base - 1734-MB and a Removable Terminal Block - 1734-RTB. The reason you have quoted 1734-MB is probably because it is the most prominent part of the complete unit and its sticker is the largest, suggesting it is the main part number. Again, 1734-TB is the main part or catalog number and it will not be on any sticker but it will be on the box that the other parts are delivered in...

1734-TB.jpg

Note how the box has 1734-TB but none of the parts do. The 1734-RTB is removable from the 1734-MB and both those parts come in the box. I've also shown a 1734-OB8 for good measure. If your 1734-MB has a 1734-RTB attached then you have a complete wiring base assembly 1734-TB and you should be good to go.

Also, take note of the Orange screwdriver adjustable key and screw on the Mounting Base...

1734-TB_Keys.jpg

The top key is for mechanically keying the module into the base. Make sure you have this set to the same as the output module - position "1". The module will not plug in if this is set incorrectly.

The bottom screw is the DIN Rail Locking Screw. Lots of folks get caught out with this one when they are new to POINT I/O. Out of the box this is set to the horizontal auto locking position. When you snap the base assembly onto the DIN Rail they are auto locked. You cannot manually "spring" the base back off the DIN Rail by pulling up or down as you can with the likes of a DIN Rail mounted relay base, etc. You can of course keep yanking on it while your face turns Red, then Blue, until it finally "comes" off in two pieces, or more, and you've also damaged the adjacent base, adapter, or controller while you are at it. The easier method is to remove the module from the mounting base and locate a small-bladed screwdriver into the DIN Rail Locking Screw, turning it by 90 degrees in either direction until it snaps into its unlocked vertical position. The entire base should then be ready to gently remove from the DIN Rail, while taking care to slide the module toward you off the adjacent device and its connector blades. Remember to set the DIN Rail Locking Screw back to the horizontal auto locking position if refitting the base again.

Also take note how there is two metal spring loaded contacts on the back the the mounting base under the top locking mechanism. These are important as they are used to ground the POINT I/O wiring base assembly to the DIN Rail.

Back of locking screw shown in the unlock position and view of grounding contacts...

1734-TB_Grounding.jpg

Regards,
George

Last edited:
Awesome, I have everything I need. The terminal was in a separate box that I overlooked the first time. Apparently we ordered everything separately. Thanks for the mounting tips as well. That probably saved me a lot of headaches. I've noticed the mechanical keying before. is this just for making sure the card is in the block or does this also have any electrical configuration to it? On one of our modules, we have it keyed to pos. three.

The mechanical keying prevents the human error of putting the incororrect module, for example placing an Input module instead of Output.

To err is human...

tarik1978 said:
The mechanical keying prevents the human error of putting the incororrect module, for example placing an Input module instead of Output.

Not to split hairs here, I'm bald enough, but this feature does not prevent the human error. The human error is inevitable and unavoidable. What it does attempt to do is mitigate the risks involved in human error. A subtle difference, I would agree, but you know me.

But, while attempting to do so, it is not quite so successful when it comes to many of the I/O modules...

The mechanical keying does go some way towards preventing the placement of an incorrect module in a base intended for a different module. But it does not distinguish between Digital Input and Digital Output modules. Nor does it distinguish between AC Input and AC Output modules. You do have to be mindful here.

Example: Digital I/O Modules

Digital Input and Output modules both require a keyswitch position of "1". Either may be fitted to the same base with the keyswitch position set to the correct Digital I/O module position of "1", but you could not fit, say, an Analog I/O module to this same base. An Analog Input module would require a keyswitch position of "3" and an Analog Output module would require a keyswitch position of "4".

The same applies to AC I/O modules. AC Input and Output modules both require a keyswitch position of "8".

It is very easy to accidentally fit Digital I/O or AC I/O modules incorrectly to a base with the same respective keyswitch designation. This feature is most certainly not preventing or even mitigating the human error involved in such erroneous cases.

More info to come...

POINT I/O Keyswitch Positions...

TL140 said:
...I've noticed the mechanical keying before. is this just for making sure the card is in the block...

More correctly, the keyswitch position is to "make sure the correct card is in the block...", or "module" is in the "base", to use the proper terminology. Taking note, of course, of the I/O module limitations above. Different types of POINT I/O modules use different keyswitch positions, but many types of modules within the same group will use the same keyswitch as each other. The key positions on the modules are fixed and the keyswitch positions on the base are selected to match the intended module...

Keyswitch positions:

1 = Digital Input/Output Modules <<< Both use same position
2 = Speciality Modules - Serial Interface, Encoder, High Speed Counter, etc.
3 = Analog Input Modules
4 = Analog Output Modules
5 = Terminal Modules - Current (CTM), Voltage (VTM)
6 = Analog Temperature Input Modules
7 = Relay Output Modules
8 = AC Input/Output Modules <<< Both use same position

The POINT Guard I/O Safety modules are a different matter again. As these are double width modules each of these Safety modules require two terminal base assemblies, such as the aforementioned 1734-TB. Here the keyswitch on both base assemblies must be set accordingly...

Keyswitch positions:

1734-IB8S - Key 1 (Left) = 8; Key 2 (Right) = 1
1734-OB8S - Key 1 (Left) = 8; Key 2 (Right) = 2
1734-OBV2S - Key 1 (Left) = 8; Key 2 (Right) = 2
1734-IE4S - Key 1 (Left) = 8; Key 2 (Right) = 3

TL140 said:
...does this also have any electrical configuration to it?...

These keyswitches are all purely mechanical and have no electrical parts or electrical signification of their current position.

TL140 said:
...On one of our modules, we have it keyed to pos. three.

Just be careful again with terminology. The "key" on the modules is fixed. It is the base that you set the "keyswitch" position on. More simply put...

The fixed key on a module fits into the adjustable keyswitch on a base.

From the above list, you should now know that a keyswitch position of "3" would be for an Analog Input module.

I do know what you meant. I'm just trying to teach you good habits when referring to these parts and their functions.

Regards,
George

Last edited: