Non-contact encoder system

Prince

I need to replace the measuring wheel of a cutting system. Problem is that I do not have enough space in the machine and the cutting process is so shaky.

A non-contact system for measurement might be helpful. measurement resolution is not very important 5mm accuracy would be enough.

Does anybody have a suggestion for a non-contact encoder system?

Sorry I do not know PE cell. Photo electric? How can it help me?

I need to measure the crossed material and calculate the length of the bar

Last edited:
For an overhead hoist I converted a problem encoder system with a Banner laser rangefinder.

It is 10 times the resolution of the encoder and gets the hoist within 1/2mm over the 35 foot travel distance. I think the laser was rated for longer travel (I seem to be thinking 12 meters) and it looks at a reflector mounted on the hoist. It can be scaled for the distances used, and reverse scaled to be minimum at the far distance & maximum at the closest.

I am thinking it was about $700 for the laser.