FactoryTalk View SE Find All Controller Tags Used

i_am_bs

I'm trying to get a list of all of the tags (both HMI and controller) that are used in a FT View SE project. I think when you export the HMI tags, it may tell you (I haven't actually tried yet) but I haven't found a good way to do this for controller tags.

The best I've found so far is to select all on a display in Studio and the open the Tag Substitution window. This is OK but it doesn't allow you to export them or see where they are used.

The only other option I've found is using the object explorer to go through every object.

If anyone has any ideas, I would greatly appreciate it!

There's an external utility called the Project Documentor that lists all the tags and the displays and objects that use them. It launches from the FactoryTalk View -> Tools menu and was included first in v5.0.

The Project Documentor presents you with a tree schema of the FTView project from which you select which objects or features you want to document. Then you "Export" the report to an HTML file.

It's not as convenient as a "cross reference" function would be but it does work. It's one of the only easy ways to weed out missing/readdressed tags that inevitably show up during debugging and growth of a large Logix control system.

Thanks Ken!

I guess it is now called Application Documentor and it doesn't show up under tools in the start menu or under tools in Studio but I found it the good old fashioned way in My computer...........\ADLauncher

Thanks Ken!

I guess it is now called Application Documentor and it doesn't show up under tools in the start menu or under tools in Studio but I found it the good old fashioned way in My computer...........\ADLauncher
Hey, where is it now then?
Thanks!
-PeeLC.

PeeLC said:
Hey, where is it now then?
Thanks!
-PeeLC.

If you are using FactoryTalk View v5.10 or later and looking for the Application Documenter then navigate to...

Start>All Programs>Rockwell Software>FactoryTalk View>Tools>Application Documenter

...or the equivalent path under your Operating System.

Regards,
George