FactoryTalk View SE Close Alarm Display

ar1234

I have a current alarm display that automatically opens when any alarm is triggered. The issue that I am having is the majority of the alarms (not all) have the ability to auto reset in the PLC. I want to be able to close that display if the alarm resets. Is there an internal tag to PanelView possibly that monitors overall whether there are any active alarms or not? Maybe I can send that tag to PLC to drive the Remote Close Display connection? It seems like I can't be the first person to have a problem with this, but I couldn't find anything under my searches.

FT 7.00.00
PV+6

Thx for assistance!

No tag that says if there are active alarms or not.
You can create logic in your PLC to handle that.

If you use bit triggers for your alarms in the PV (ex. use an DINT tag to create 32 bit triggers) then you just need to look at the whole tag.
When it's zero you have no alarms; non-zero means at least one alarm exists.
That could work in the Remote Close Display connection.

Appreciate the idea, Arlenjacobs. I didn't do it exactly the way you described, but your concept definitely started me on my way. I used the handshake connection from PV to toggle bits in the PLC DINT. That way I don't have to try and figure out all alarm tags in PLC to pack into a DINT for PV. That filtering is already done before my PV alarm import... Anyway, I can get my app to behave the way I was looking for with 32 or less alarms, but issue now is that I will probably have up to 5000 alarms on this PV. Thoughts? Different Data Type?

5,000 alarms?!? Is this for process control or a machine?

You could run a macro (every 3-5 seconds) that sums up all of your alarm status DINTs.
That would need a large macro/expression which you would not want to run very often(slows down the PVP).

But using the handshake is not going to work the way you want it to.
The handshake flips between 1 and 0 anytime the trigger changes value. If your trigger goes from 3 to 5 that is a change and the handshake will toggle states; even if both 3 and 5 are not alarm values.
Also, the handshake value of 1 and 0 do not relate to being in or out of alarm. It toggles on any trigger value change.

The PV+ (version 8) can't give you that alarm count status. You'll need to do that in the PLC or change your requirement. Having the alarm count in the PLC lets you run a horn, stack light, fault stop, etc.