AB 1764-HSTP1 Question about limit switches

I am new to the AB Stepper Controller for SLC 500's. (PN 1764-HSTP1)

My question is, although the board has inputs for CW and CCW limits, can I tie both limit switches in series and land that one wire to both inputs? I am running out of I/O on my wiring harness.

I read through the manual it states:

"CW or CCW Limit Switch Input – If either of these inputs is
activated during a find home operation, the motor reverses
direction and begins looking for the home limit switch or home
proximity switch, as applicable. If either the CW or CCW limit
switch input is activated during a normal move or jog move
operation, the pulse train output is disabled immediately; the
present position then becomes invalid."

When homing will it remember what direction it was going and reverse direction, or will position be invalid as soon as both CW and CCW limits are active?

I really don't want to resort to using DO's to generate simulated limits if I don't have to.

Thanks