Flex I/O vs. Point I/O on CLX via ControlNet

jkerekes

I'm going to be doing a project and need 24 120 VAC inputs and 16 relay outputs. On Point I/O I was going to use IA4 and OW8 modules. On Flex I was going to use IA16 and OW8 modules. Point I/O was a little cheaper. I'm going to be using this on a CLX system that has only ControlNet. I've never use Point I/O before. I know it's only digital I/O, so it's not too complex on the configuration end. Which to go with? I'm leaning towards Point I/O.

Which ever you use (but I would recommend Point IO - I agree with Jesper), plan it out with IAB (Integrated Architect Builder). That application does a decent job evaluating the configuration and determining power supply requirements. Additionally, it can evaluate the number of connections of ControlNet.

I did use iAB to specify the parts. I just changed it from using IA2 to IA4 and OW2 to OW4.

Either will do the job, for me it comes down to available space for mounting, then considerations for wiring. I don't think I would use point IO greater than 4 points for each card. Simply due to wiring. I think with the OW8 you'll need another card for supply voltage or common (I'm not in-front of any reference material) you won't have enough terminals for supply voltage and neutral? Same thoughts apply to analog cards as well.

Other considerations can get into the number of CIP connections your IO will require and what your Ethernet card is capable of...blah blah blah only applies to larger distributed IO systems. For my systems, FlexIO wins in this category depending on the analog IO requirements.