Emu5000: Out of logic memory in the controller

CplHunter

I have:
  • a new, empty RSLogix 5000 project
  • a freshly configured EMU5000 chassis with a single controller at slot 1 with default values
  • a newly configured Virtual Backplane driver in RSLinx Classic

I can see the emulated controller in RSWho. Looks happy.

When I attempt to download this new project to the controller, I receive:

Code:
Downloading controller 'EMU'...
Verifying Controller...
Verifying routine 'MainRoutine' of program 'MainProgram'
Compiling all Routines...
Downloading all Data Types...
Creating all Controller Tags...
Creating all Programs and Add-On Instructions...
Creating all 'MainProgram' Tags...
Downloading all Add-On Instructions...
Downloading all Controller Tags...
Downloading all Programs...
Downloading program 'MainProgram'
Downloading all 'MainProgram' Tags...
Downloading all 'MainProgram' Routines...
Downloading routine 'MainRoutine'
Downloading all Modules...
Downloading all Tasks...
Downloading task 'MainTask'
Downloading Security Configuration...
Downloading Controller attributes...
Linking all Routines...
Linking routine 'MainRoutine' of program 'MainProgram'
Error: Out of logic memory in the controller.
Complete - 1 error(s), 0 warning(s)

Confirming for the next unfortunate soul to find this in a search that upgrading EMU5000 from 20.01 to 20.03 fixed this issue.

I am that unfortunate soul here running into the same problem: when trying to download the code into the emulator, it reports "Out of logic memory in the controller"

Here is what I have:

RSLogix 5000: V20.01.00 (CPR 9 SR 5)

RSLogix Emulate 5000: 20.03.00 (CPR 9 SR 5)

When I tried to upgrade RSLogix 5000 from v20.01 to v20.03 through the RA website, it says the newer one is not compatible with the Emulator software. So what is the solution for this memory issue?

A few other but related questions here since this is my first time use the emulator:
When I configure the memory, it shows that the maximum memory size is 65536 KB. Is that the program memory only or does it include all the data memory (files)?

Can the emulator emulate any (or many different) controllers or it has to be the EmuLogix5868 controller?

One final question: since the reason I had to use the emulator (and then ran into this memory issue) was the software (RSLogix and FT View) on the computer with the PLC hardware is older than my code, I was unable to open my code and HMI with that computer. My question is: is there a way to use lower version software to open code and HMI programmed with newer software? I guess the answer would be no, but want to confirm.

Thank you in advance.

You should be able to just ignore it or else you could upgrade both RSLogix 5000 and RSLogix Emulate 5000 to v20.04. They should then be fully compatible.

Regards,
George

Hi,
I just deleted the processor, then added a new one but I have increased the memory and that got rid of the error.
Hope that helps.