ystv

I am trying to find the EDS files for the following catalog numbers:

• 1769-L38ERMO Standard
    1769-L38ERMOS Safety
    1769-L36ERMO Standard
    1769-L36ERMOS Safety
    1769-L33ERMO Standard
    1769-L33ERMOS SAFETY

I queried the Rockwell webportal without success (queries this site here: https://compatibility.rockwellautomation.com/pages/search.aspx?crumb=117&q=EDS files. I was able to find only the firmware but not the EDS files)

I searched the EDS database folder (the windows directory C:\Users\Public\Documents\Rockwell) without success. Using RSLinx Classic 4.20.00 CPR 9 SR 12.0
CPR
Actually, I am not sure if those should or should not have an EDS as the Armor family is adding the power supply feature. Is totally reasonable for me that an other EDS is covering those devices, but the confusing part is that I was able to find the EDS for 1769-L37ERMO and 1769-L37ERMOS, which is of the same Armor family. This indicates to me that I am just missing the files for the devices.

Is there an other avenue to look for EDS files?

Last edited:
Most newer AB devices allow you to upload EDS directly from the device itself while online in RS Linx. Be sure this option is checked in RS Linx or use the context menu and select Upload EDS from device.
PLCs.jpg

Welcome to the PLCTalk forum community !

As noted, most modern RA devices embed the EDS files as a GZIP file that can be retrieved from the device itself.

Why do you think you need the EDS files for these controllers ? Are they genuinely coming up as unrecognized devices in your RSLinx Classic browse ?

Do other controllers and devices appear correctly in the RSLinx Classic browse ?

Thanks for the welcoming environment.

And also thanks for the info. The approach worked for me.

While not identical to your scenario, this technote provides a patch for missing EDS files for CompactLogix 5480 controllers for v32...

ID: BF16599 | Access Levels: Everyone
Patch: CompactLogix 5480 EDS files for V32 missing, RSLinx Classic 4.11.00

This demonstrates there is the possibility that certain CompactLogix EDS files may also have been missing for your version of RSLinx Classic. I have also seen cases where the downloaded installation package is corrupted and a re-download resolves the issue.

Newer versions of RSLinx Classic should have such EDS files as these products were released some years ago. But, the option to upload from the device is a quick and easy workaround and thankfully it has helped you here.

Still, I do like to close things out where and when I can...

ystv said:
...Is there an other avenue to look for EDS files?

Yes, indeed there is, but it can be a little obscure in finding it, sometimes...

When you search your controller on the Product Compatibility and Download Center (PCDC) website, and with EDS files in mind, you may see the search offer up suggestions for your entry?...
1769-L3xERxxx%20EDS%20Files%20%28multi%29%2001.jpg

Above we can see there is the option for "EDS files for..." when typing the example 1769-L33ERMO controller.
If we choose the suggested EDS option in grey we should see a list of all the firmware revisions available for this controller...
1769-L3xERxxx%20EDS%20Files%20%28multi%29%2002.jpg

When we click on "Download" we are taken to the next screen which just displays the latest firmware revision...
1769-L3xERxxx%20EDS%20Files%20%28multi%29%2003.jpg

If we click on "Select Files" it will just display the firmware available for download. No EDS option...
1769-L3xERxxx%20EDS%20Files%20%28multi%29%2004.jpg

However, if we go back and change the view format drop down from "show all versions" to "show selections" we will see each *other revision available for the controller.
If we now click "Select Files" again for a revision we will now see the EDS files are available for download...
1769-L3xERxxx%20EDS%20Files%20%28multi%29%2005.jpg

*You may or may not have noticed but the reason the EDS download option isn't available at first above is because there was no EDS files added or updated with firmware release 33 for these controllers. When we change the view to "show selections", revision 33 is not listed. All other revisions are though. When we choose the highest available at revision 32, we then have the option to select the EDS files for download. This is because EDS files were released with this revision. The revision 32 EDS files should still work fine with a controller flashed to revision 33.

As I said, it's a little bit obscure in finding EDS files through the PCDC for scenarios like this and some controllers at their latest firmware revision offerings will provide EDS files. So the take away here is if you cannot find EDS files listed against the latest revision, try go back one or two revisions until you find some.

But the upload from device option is still a headache and time saver when we cannot be bothered with all this cloak and dagger stuff.

The only other advantage here (in using PCDC) that I might add is that for many EDS downloads you will get multiple versions of EDS files in one bundle which you can register all at once. This means you are covered for many possibilities going forward.

It's always good to have options.

Regards,
George

Last edited: