Modbus TCP/IP vs Ethernet/IP

SpecialK87

I am trying to gain an understanding of the 2 communication protocols. I have a device that uses Modbus RTU. It is connected to a Moxa Gateway which converts it to Modbus TCP/IP. If I connect my 1756-L82 to that Moxa device via ethernet, am I then able to communicate to it as if it were Ethernet/IP?

The Moxa gateway you mention must be Modbus TCP sever/ Modbus RTU client. So to answer your question, no, it cannot work as if it was an EtherNet/IP adapter device. But you should be able to achieve the opposite, which is to have the Logix PLC application to act as if it was a Modbus TCP client using some code for this purpose. Perhaps the information in post below may help you.
http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=125113