# symbol in structured text of Beckhoff TwinCAT

sallysan

Hi all,

I've inherited someone else's program and can't for the life of me figure out his use of the # symbol in one of his structured text routines. The usage is essentially as follows:

GUI_flow := int_to_real(flow) / 16#6000 * 200;

He uses this same calculation for the flow rates of various gases used on the tool. What does 16#6000 mean? I figured it was some obscure mathematical operator like modulo or something, but google turned up nothing for me on that front.

Thanks,
Sally

Thank you so much! I checked the datasheet for the device from which the flow input is coming from and it does list the flow in hex format so it's all making sense now.

Follow-up question, why does 16#6000 have to be hex, but 200 doesn't have to be? Or is it all just for display purposes anyway (i.e. 16#6000 could alternatively just be converted to its 24756 decimal value and written in decimal format instead)?