Allen Bradley Ladder Logic Array Indexes Getting Jumbled Up

Uploading is akin to starting a whole new file.

PEBKAC. ;) Been there...

No it isn't, you can Upload the code from the controller if your matching name offline file is so out of date (changes by others) that correlation isn't possible.

Let's say you did a job and commissioned it two years ago, your offline file gets frozen at that state. You then have to visit the site, you open your offline file, and say "Go Online".

If correlation IS possible, it will do it, bringing your "image" up-to-date with the controller code.

If correlation is NOT possible (i.e. too many edits been done since you last connected), the software detects that the controller is a later revision than your project file, and gives you the option to Upload. The upload obviously overwrites your offline project file with the controller's image.

If your offline project file is later (doubtful if you haven't touched it for 2 years), then you are given BOTH options - Upload or Download.

If you started a new file and uploaded into it, you would not retain the documentation ....

In all cases with the UPLOAD original logic is replaced with the controllers logic on an upload, correlation for small workable changes. Akin, similar. Not exactly. However he is Uploading not Correlating when going online.

Uploading is action that pulls the current image from the PLC. Upload & Use File keeps the documentation from the selected file merging the two, documentation with the uploaded logic

Correlation picks up on the small changes. Correlation is automatic when you go online if as you say the changes are small enough. Generally this means no IO tree changes, AOI changes, etc.

I understand the difference between upload and download but don't worry I'm not offended it's a valid distinction to make in this case (y)

I have recorded the test that I explained earlier in the thread where I said I changed something, then uploaded, then everything was messed up.

Notice how all the rungs are good before the upload (sped up for your viewing pleasure)

Then, after the upload, some but not all of the rungs are different than they were before.

Here's the video :unsure:
http://youtu.be/2Q-8ceKcAl0

Last edited:
I understand the difference between upload and download but don't worry I'm not offended it's a valid distinction to make in this case (y)

I have recorded the test that I explained earlier in the thread where I said I changed something, then uploaded, then everything was messed up.

Notice how all the rungs are good before the upload (sped up for your viewing pleasure)

Then, after the upload, some but not all of the rungs are different than they were before.

Am I interneting wrong or is the video blurry in the beginning? It's like your camera thought it was trying to record bigfoot.

That is bizarre if I'm seeing what I think I'm seeing. Is your controller in slot 5? Are there other controllers in that rack?

Am I interneting wrong or is the video blurry in the beginning? It's like your camera thought it was trying to record bigfoot.

That is bizarre if I'm seeing what I think I'm seeing. Is your controller in slot 5? Are there other controllers in that rack?

Sorry about the quality, I was trying to keep the file size small since I'm working off of my phone's hotspot.

Here's what the backplane looks like. Yes the controller is in slot 5. There are other controllers using this subnet of 192.168.1.XXX but not on this backplane except the safety partner processor.

KUSqjvl.png

So it turns out I don't even have to change anything in the routine before the upload. Just the upload itself messes up the routine. So the steps were: I am online, save, go offline, upload.

o_O

I should note that it seemingly just messes up the routine for my rslogix session. If I don't make any edits/saves after the bad upload, then reopen the project file and go online, everything is normal again.

I'm pretty certain that if you don't save before going offline, any online changes are reverted back to your offline copy.

So let's say that the array indexes (indecies?) are messed up in your offline copy, but correct online. If you go online, it'll upload/correlate and when you view that routine you'll view the online (correct) code. If you do a save while online, your offline copy is now updated to match the online code. But if you don't do a save and just go back offline, then look at that routine again, you'll be seeing the same messed up code you had previously.

I watched your blurred video, but saw all I needed to see.

Let me walk you through it .....

You started off ONLINE

You scrolled through several rungs of code.

You spotted an index that needed changing.

You went OFFLINE, and in doing so elected to UPLOAD the tag values.

While OFFLINE you changed the offending index.

You then clicked Go Online.

The dialog that came up gave you several options, but the buttons were there, Upload or Download.

You clicked on Upload, which destroyed your offline edits !!

I said it in a previous post, in the A-B world ....

UPLOAD = get the code and operands FROM the controller to the PC

DOWNLOAD = put the offline code and operands into the controller.

I watched your blurred video, but saw all I needed to see.

Let me walk you through it .....

You started off ONLINE

You scrolled through several rungs of code.

You spotted an index that needed changing.

You went OFFLINE, and in doing so elected to UPLOAD the tag values.

While OFFLINE you changed the offending index.

You then clicked Go Online.

The dialog that came up gave you several options, but the buttons were there, Upload or Download.

You clicked on Upload, which destroyed your offline edits !!

I said it in a previous post, in the A-B world ....

UPLOAD = get the code and operands FROM the controller to the PC

DOWNLOAD = put the offline code and operands into the controller.

No, I will upload a new video when I am on better wifi and will show that an upload, regardless of whether there were offline changes or not, will mess up the routine.

No, I will upload a new video when I am on better wifi and will show that an upload, regardless of whether there were offline changes or not, will mess up the routine.

NO !!!

After you make changes OFFLINE, to get them into the controller, which is where you want them, you have to DOWNLOAD

Can't say it clearer than that ....

EDIT : You could have made that change using online editing, there was no need to go offline ....

Last edited:
NO !!!

After you make changes OFFLINE, to get them into the controller, which is where you want them, you have to DOWNLOAD

Can't say it clearer than that ....

I DONT CARE ABOUT DOWNLOADING

🤷 What I am saying is that when someone connects to this controller and does an upload, as you do when you are coming to a job site other people are working on, the upload messes up this routine!