RSLinx Pro being retired

unsunghippie

It's been a while since I have had to interface Excel with a AB PLC. Typically what has been done in the past is to use RSLinx pro as OPC/DDE interface between Excel and Micrologix. I now hear RSLinx pro is being retired, in favor of Factorytalk Gateway. I also see on the Linx comparison chart that Gateway does not support DDE. I do not have a copy of Gateway here to play with. Which leads me to:

- How do I OPC with Excel? I see there are may third party OPC vendors that make this easy. Do I have to use third party, or activeX, or can I script in VBA?

I'm having a hard time researching this and getting the info I need. Any help is appreciated.

Linx single node is cheap if you only need to talk to one device. It goes for around $350.00 if you need to get data from multipul devices or need to have multipul clients running then you'll need clasic which I just bought for around $1100.00

RSLinx Classic Single Node
RSLinx Classic OEM
RSLinx Classic Pro
RSLinx Classic Gateway

They are all variants of RSLinx Classic and they all support OPC.

We use the OEM variant.
Where is there an official statement that Gateway supercedes OEM and Pro ?
If so, what price will it be ?
The price of Gateway ? That would be way too expensive.
The price of OEM or Pro ? That would mean we would get more for the same money. Nice, but can that really true ? We are talking Rockwell Software here.

I believe FactoryTalk Gateway is used to allow OPC connectivity to a FactoryTalk View SE tag database.

I would expect RSLinx Classic to be around for a while. If anything was to eventually 'replace' RSLinx Classic I would guess that it would be RSLinx Enterprise, although I think there are a lot of reasons why that wouldn't work (DH+ support for one).