factory talk View Studio 6.10

:smas:Ok it was installed properly I was able to create a new file and work with the program. Then someone asked me to check out a MER file I converted this with the file app and ended up with a directory inside the Factory talk directory structure.I tried to open the file and I ended up with the the following error message: "SQL Server 2008 Express instance 'FTVIEWx64TagDB' which is required for FT v6.1 or later cannot be found."Anyway from the minute this error appeared I now cannot create or open a sample FT file without getting this message.

I am running a notebook with Windows 7.0 professional I can run the MER file in View ME station (runtime = ok) but everything else comes up with the same error. The translation (MER) file to directories seams to work ok but that's it.

Also I have two directory trees under Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\ which has 3 directories 80, 90 and 100
On the other tree it is Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\ which:smas has 4 directories: 80, 90, 100 and MSAQL10.50.FTVIEWX64TAGDB

I Used RSVIEW32 for the past 8 years and I have also used Wordpress for my web site but what gives with this product. I really don't want to remove the program I think there maybe a conflict with the installed SQL servers as there appears to be two of them installed one in 32-bit the second in 64 bit.

Any help would be appreciated.

FTVIEWx64TAGDB.jpg

Thank you for your information, unfortunately this info does not help me. I searched the Internet for a possible solution and I did come up with the same answer you have provided. This is not an isolated problem but perhaps I just need to re-install and re-activate the software. I really wish I did not have to! This product appears to be a pain and I will continue to recommend RSview32 as a better solution. Maybe I am wrong but I have tried this product before and each time we have major issues that require a complete reinstall. I guess my time is insignificant to Rockwell. I am starting to rant

Oh by the way in case some people start thinking yes but RSview32 is tag based and it is very expensive

Both products FT or RS both require Window XP sure works great on windows 7 except migrating older products or 32/64 bit limitations. USE windows XP and you will not have any issues. As for the tag/ screen issues, factory talk View is screen based runtime 10 screens will set you back $ 1500.00 runtime /development RSview32 150 tags will set you back $ 1500. But with Controllogix you get 32 bits per tag,so of you have 64 physical switches that you want to monitor and 64 physical lights you need for control through multiplexing I would still have 146 32-bit tags available to me. And I have an unlimited number of screens.

From the Application Manager when you select Restore Runtime Application and hit Next. The Screen opens to specify the runtime application to restore.

There are two Radio Buttons you must have picked Restore Runtime Application and Factory Talk Directory.

From this Screen Click the Help Button to see explanation of Choices.

Notice The large CAUTION: highlighted in Yellow.

This one actually happened me a couple of years ago when we purchased our first Win 7 64-bit laptop and were using FTVS v6.10...

465364 - SQL Server 2008 Express Instance FTVIEWx64TagDB... cannot be found
Access Level: TechConnect

Regards,
George

I had the same problem with v7, although that was because I messed around with the SQL instance and corrupted it. From memory I just completely removed the SQL instance and then used the FTView installation disc to recreate it. Worked like a charm.

This one actually happened me a couple of years ago when we purchased our first Win 7 64-bit laptop and were using FTVS v6.10...

465364 - SQL Server 2008 Express Instance FTVIEWx64TagDB... cannot be found
Access Level: TechConnect

Regards,
George

Great just go to Tech connect and look up this problem. One issue that you may have forgotten a long time ago Tech connect forums were free for all Allen Bradley users. Just like PLCtalk Web site every one contributed to issues that they came across. Then one day Mr. Allen decided he could charge for this information that the general public created. So no I do not want to pay Mr. Allen Or Mr. Bradley nor for that matter Mr. Rockwell for Tech connect information. I do not have the budget.

The technote basically says check the computer services (start>type services.msc) and make sure SQL Server (FTVIEWx64TagDB) is running (and set to automatic startup).

To remove the instance, run the SQL installer. Start>All Programs>Microsoft SQL Server 2008>Configuration Tools>SQL Server Installation Center.

From there I'm not 100% sure as I'd be speaking from memory, but I think you select the "add features to existing installation" option, point it to the installation media (which is on the FTView Disc in the Redist folder), and somewhere along the way you select the FTVIEWx64TagDB instance and remove it.

From there, don't use the SQL server installation center to reinstall the instance, run the install from the FTview disc.

Have a play with it and see how you go...

Double Standards...

ronny_resistor said:
...Tech connect forums were free for all Allen Bradley users. Just like PLCtalk Web site every one contributed to issues that they came across. Then one day Mr. Allen decided he could charge for this information that the general public created. So no I do not want to pay Mr. Allen Or Mr. Bradley nor for that matter Mr. Rockwell for Tech connect information...

I have made this argument before, and I'm sure I will again...

The information that Rockwell now charges for, under a TechConnect Contract, is not created by the public. It is compiled by their own employees. Employees who are experienced and knowledgeable in their fields. Employees that spend their working day finding, creating and testing solutions to our problems. Employees that man phones and computers to assist us. Employees that have to be paid.

You do not work for free, do you? So why should they?

ronny_resistor said:
Great just go to Tech connect and look up this problem. One issue that you may have forgotten a long time ago...

One thing you may have "forgotten a long time ago" is your manners.

I have no problem helping those who do not have a TechConnect Contract, but not when they throw it back in my face.

That TechConnect article contains the answer to your woes, but you have decided that instead of spending money, you would prefer to spend your time, which I'm sure is valuable to you, trying to sort a problem out. A problem which can be solved by either having a TechConnect Contract, or coming here and asking others, that have paid, to solve it for you, for free.

You won't pay, but you expect others to pay, and tell you for free?

Double standards my friend.

I could have written a nice step-by-step procedure for you by now, instead of the above, but oh well.

"We seldom find people ungrateful so long as it is thought we can serve them."

G.

Oh here we go a Rockwell employee with an opinion. Remember the good old days " did you ground the 1771 chassis with a #6 awg wire? How about a great product called interchange (before rslinx) yah Tech connect really helped there. I have found that If you know little about Rockwell products you will have a steep learning curve. Anyway this is not the thread for your employment issues.
Oh by the way are you perhaps data mining yourself, looking for answers that will become tech notes for Rockwell, or are you using this site to see what hardware / Software issues there are. May I suggest that you spend some time with the Micro800 you can spend weeks on this product line.

For all the people who want to know the answer. I ended up installing Factory talk entirely on a 32 bit computer running windows 7.0 I used the manager tool and reversed the MER file and I was able to see the file. I think my issue was that I tried to open a 32 bit file with a 64 bit machine. And no I did not see any large exclamation marks when I converted the MER file. I think that if the program came from a windows XP environment stay with 32 bit operating system is the answer.

My customer wanted to know the Log in password, this is one of the reasons why I wanted to look at the MER file. I was able to add myself as an administrator and the log in appears now to be working with my computer password. God only knows what the programmer password is I see a string of numbers and digits that I believe are encrypted. There are only two passwords in the MER file the first is an operator the second is a super user.

Those numbers & digits in the password fields are one of the problems when moving a FactoryTalk View project from one computer to another. It is possible to recover the original usernames/passwords, but it's not worth the effort (or call to tech support).
Just make new users and passwords.

That is fixed for projects created/edited in version 8.0, but won't help you see user passwords in projects created before that.

I am still flabbergasted by the last response from the OP. I have written and rewritten a response several times. I think it probably is best to not expand on how utterly offended I was by his response.

But, I have to correct the previous comment for future readers of this thread.

You can never see passwords. At best you can reset passwords. Usernames can always be retrieved from the .APA file by restoring the FactoryTalk Local Directory along with the application. That information is not restored as part of the .MER.

OG

Ohh busy day, but thank the Lord, it's nearly punching out time...

Oh here we go a Rockwell employee with an opinion...

I'm not sure where you got the notion that I was a Rockwell employee? :unsure: Or that I have an opinion for that matter? :p

I am simply an Electrician working in a manufacturing environment. Although my employers insist on calling me a Technician, I don't really care, once the pay is good.

...Remember the good old days " did you ground the 1771 chassis with a #6 awg wire? How about a great product called interchange (before rslinx) yah Tech connect really helped there...

That chip on your shoulder really does go back a long way? The phone support, then and now, does leave a lot to be desired, depending on who you get, but the Knowledgebase has plenty of useful information.

...I have found that If you know little about Rockwell products you will have a steep learning curve...

That is quite true. Having never worked for them, I have learned whatever little I know the hard way. Through experience, determination, lots of reading, and with the help of Rockwell, their Knowledgebase, and the good people of this Forum.

...Anyway this is not the thread for your employment issues...

Also true. I don't have any. I'm perfectly happy in my current role.

...Oh by the way are you perhaps data mining yourself, looking for answers that will become tech notes for Rockwell, or are you using this site to see what hardware / Software issues there are. May I suggest that you spend some time with the Micro800 you can spend weeks on this product line...

Actually no, I'm not. But if they were willing to pay me, perhaps I might consider it? What I am doing here is trying to help people, in return for the many years of help I have received, directly or indirectly.

...For all the people who want to know the answer. I ended up installing Factory talk entirely on a 32 bit computer running windows 7.0...I think my issue was that I tried to open a 32 bit file with a 64 bit machine...I think that if the program came from a windows XP environment stay with 32 bit operating system is the answer...

Now that you have gotten sorted, one way or another, I don't see the harm in explaining this...

You ended up finding a solution, yes, but possibly not the simplest one? The fact you opened an application, created under a 32-bit OS, in FTVS, under a 64-bit OS, is precisely what was wrong.

1. FactoryTalk View Studio v5.0, and newer, introduced the ability to restore MER runtime files back to development files (MED). FTVS v5.0 - v6.0 are only compatible with 32-bit OS.

2. Applications developed within FTVS v5.0 - v6.0, under a 32-bit OS, use the older 32-bit WATCOM tag database, and not the newer Microsoft SQL Server. MSSQL replaced the WATCOM tag database at FTVS v6.10.

3. While MSSQL supports both 32-bit and 64-bit OS, FTVS only uses the 32-bit version of MSSQL. This is the version that is installed whether FTVS v6.10 is installed under a 32-bit or 64-bit OS.

4. When FactoryTalk View Studio v6.10 is installed under a 32-bit OS, both the 32-bit WATCOM tag database, and the 32-bit MSSQL Server are installed. This allows for forward and backward compatibility between pre v6.10 and post v6.10 applications.

5. When FactoryTalk View Studio v6.10 is installed under a 64-bit OS, only the 32-bit MSSQL Server is installed. The 32-bit WATCOM tag database is not compatible under a 64-bit OS.

6. An MER runtime file, created in FTVS v5.0 - v6.0, under a 32-bit OS, that was set to "Allow" for the "Convert to Development" setting, will add the 32-bit WATCOM database into the MER file, so as it can be restored later.

7. To restore this MER back to an MED, you must do so using the Application Manager under a 32-bit OS, where FTVS and the 32-bit WATCOM database is also installed. This allows a successful restoration of the MER and the tag database.

8. Attempting to restore an MER runtime file, created in FTVS v5.0 - v6.0, under a 32-bit OS, by using the Application Manager under a 64-bit OS, can result in corrupting the 32-bit MSSQL Server instance "FTVIEWX64TAGDB".

9. To restore the corrupted "FTVIEWX64TAGDB" instance, all you needed do was replace a certain two files under the aforementioned "MSSQL10_50.FTVIEWX64TAGDB" folder, with the same named files under another close by folder, and reboot.

10. To restore and use MER files, created in FTVS v5.0 - v6.0, under a 32-bit OS, as per No.7 above, you can use XP Mode within Windows 7 Professional, which you mentioned you have. This would save you installing to a separate computer all together. This way, you can use one computer to work on new and legacy applications.

...My customer wanted to know the Log in password, this is one of the reasons why I wanted to look at the MER file. I was able to add myself as an administrator and the log in appears now to be working with my computer password...

I'm actually glad you got something working for them, one way or the other, in the end. But for your information in regard to acquiring passwords from existing user accounts, within an existing FTVME application...

FTV does not actually store the password as typed, but rather a "hash" of the password. When you create a password, it generates an encrypted hash of it, and stores that hash value. When you type in a password, it too is similarly encrypted to a hash value and then compared to the encrypted hash it has stored. If they match, it knows you entered the same password and permits you to log in. If the encrypted hash values do not match, you know the rest. So, the original password, as typed, is not actually stored, so there is no way for someone else to acquire the actual password, as typed.

Now some might complain..."But that's silly?"..."what if I, or a customer forgets their password?"

Well, think of the alternative scenario..."Hey, someone hacked my password!...or my customers password!"..."FT Security sucks!"

I know which I prefer.

Regards,
Non-Rockwell Employee