factory talk View Studio 6.10

I think we can let this one rest for now. I will stop ranting and bashing some individuals. I too have spent a lifetime with PLC's and it has been rewarding at times. Allen Bradley makes some of the best hardware in the world (even though its now manufactured in China) Please accept my apologies for trying to raise the bar a little its just that I don't get the Tech support.

untitled.png

ControlLogix CPUs and network modules I know for sure are manufactured in Twinsburg, Ohio. PLC-5 and SLC-500 controllers have been built there for decades.

Distributed I/O and MicroLogix are now mostly built by RA Singapore. This not a subcontractor or third party: it's a Rockwell Automation factory staffed by Rockwell Automation employees and building only Rockwell Automation products.

In the cabinetful of RA products I just installed, we've got stuff from USA, Japan, Mexico, Switzerland, the UK, and Singapore. The POINT I/O removable terminal blocks are the only parts made in China.

I don't work there anymore, and I'm not going to argue the specific details of every product of a global company with a global supply chain.

But to assert "it's all made in China these days" is incorrect, misleading, and inflammatory.

Ken a salesman once told me "if you want Quality you buy Allen Bradley" He was referring to Milwaukee manufactured 800 series operators "anything else is junk". Fast forward 20 years later and the 800 series is now made in China.
My statement "Allen Bradley makes some of the best hardware in the world (even though its now manufactured in China)" is based on those 800 series operators. I am aware that the Point I/O is made in China but it to was also made in the USA at one point. :oops:
I still use the 800 series operators as they are the only decent 33mm buttons available besides I have a drawer full of them.

A Forum member recently PM'd me after another thread related to the whole 32-bit/64-bit compatibility issue for FTV applications. I didn't get a chance to reply them yet, so I thought I'd do it here as it is relevant to the previous info...

They wanted to know if they had created an application in FTVS v6.10, or above, under a 64-bit OS, could they then send that "64 bit" application to their customer, who is using FTVS v6.10, or above, under a 32-bit OS, and could they successfully restore it?

The simple answer is yes, they could. The fact that both parties are using FTVS v6.10, or above, means they are fully compatible.

The confusion arises here because they are both using the same FTVS version, but under a different OS. Just because FTVS is installed under a 64-bit OS, does not make an application created there a "64 bit" application. As I have mentioned, the MSSQL Server, now used for the tag database, is the 32-bit version, regardless of whether FTVS is installed under a 32-bit or 64-bit OS. So FTVS applications, created under either 32-bit or 64-bit OS, are both using 32-bit tag databases.

So there is no compatibility issues with exchanging FTVS v6.10, or above, applications between 64-bit and 32-bit Operating Systems.

They also mentioned the use of the "Legacy Tag Database Conversion Tool" in relation to the above. I didn't bother getting into it as another option in my last post here, as it was long enough, but I'd like to explain that option now...

Another option for opening and working on a pre FTVS v6.10 application file i.e. v5.0 - v6.0, within a 64-bit OS, is to use the "Legacy Tag Database Conversion Tool".

Note: If you have installed FTVS v6.10, or above, on a 32-bit OS, then the 32-bit WATCOM tag database is already installed, along with the 32-bit MSSQL Server tag database. A v5.0 - v6.0 application should sucessfully restore/open under these conditions.

If you have installed FTVS v6.10, or above, under a 64-bit OS, then to open v5.0 - v6.0 applications, which were of course created under a 32-bit OS, you must first use the Legacy Tag Database Conversion Tool under a 32-bit OS to extract the WATCOM tag database. You then go to the 64-bit OS and run the same Legacy Tag Database Conversion Tool to create the new tag database within the MSSQL Server by using the extracted WATCOM tag database. This then allows the converted tag database, and its application, to be opened for editing under the 64-bit OS.

Again, having XP Mode under Windows 7 Professional greatly assists with this process by providing the two OS environments required to carry out this procedure.

Regards,
George

I have a limit on grudges that resets at 1 year for customers, 10 years for college football, and 50 years for armed conflicts.

The only permanent exceptions are Georgia-Pacific Corp, the Germans and Pete Carroll.

Ken, Don't forget RA's "home-made" version of the "Rockwell Automation retro-encabulator"...

Here at Rockwell Automation's world headquarters, research has been proceeding to develop a line of automation products that establishes new standards for quality, technological leadership, and operating excellence. With customer success as our primary focus, work has been proceeding on the crudely conceived idea of an instrument that would not only provide inverse reactive current for use in unilateral phase detractors, but would also be capable of automatically synchronizing cardinal grammeters.

Such an instrument comprised of Dodge gears and bearings, Reliance Electric motors, Allen-Bradley controls, and all monitored by Rockwell Software is Rockwell Automation's retro-encabulator.

Now basically the only new principle involved is that instead of power being generated by the relative motion of conductors and fluxes, it's produced by the modial interaction of magneto-reluctance and capacitive duractance. The original machine had a base plate of pre-famulated amulite surmounted by a malleable logarithmic casing in such a way that the two spurving bearings ran in a direct line with the panametric fan.

The line-up consisted simply of six hydrocoptic marzul vanes so fitted to the ambaphascient lunar wain shaft that side fumbling was effectively prevented. The main winding was of the normal lotus-odeltoid type placed in panendurmic semi-bulloid slots of the stator, every seventh conductor being connected by a non-reversible tremmy pipe to the differential girdle spring on the up-end of the grammeters.

Moreover, whenever fluorescent skor motion is required, it may also be employed in conjunction with the drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal depleneration.

The retro-encabulator has now reached a high level of development, and it’s being successfully used in the operation of Milford trunnions. It's available soon, wherever Rockwell Automation products are being sold.

Still selling like hot cakes! :nodi:

ronny_resistor said:
...Milwaukee manufactured 800 series...

We have a shltload of Bulletin 800 Milwaukee here in "several" drawers. Bomb-proof stuff. That's why it's still there in the drawers. Also Bulletin 700 manufactured in Milton Keyes, UK. Some of it's there 45 years, still in the boxes, which are gone a bit faded now...

AB_stuff.jpg

The Rockwell rep instructed my team to install VM ware, run three installations, one for XP CGLX 5000 ver 19., FTV 5.1, and FTV 6.0. We have VM backups of everything, why? Sometimes Linx won't see the device, sometimes a GX error, perhaps an XML fault, and of course the constant activation manager refresh and the usb dongle musical chairs, we give up.

But wait, Rockwell has an answer for there planned obsolescence tactics, they have a knowledgebase you can purchase, of course it is a la carte, you have to pay separately for the FT, CGLX, SLC, etc., more fleecing by our friends in Cleveland.

I am sick of the RW fans telling me "I get what I pay for" , well I just purchased a FTview replacement panel, I should plug it in, and it should work. Why are we required to purchase tech support for a $6500 unit that should work out of the box?

I have dealt with this mess for 20 years, I have complained, I have filled out the surveys, nothing works. Fortunately, we can lean on others who have been through this mess, and we are grateful to all (Ken Roach).

After the latest FTview fiasco, we have moved to the Mitts platform, I am sure the PLC's fill follow soon.

Got the same problem. The SQL Instance 'FTVIEWx64TagDB' service would not start for nothing.

Then I noticed that the Windows date was on year 9999. Adjusting the DateTime, managed to instantly resolve the SQL service going up. After a reboot, I've got an ICE TagDb sync problem, that had to solve by restoring old .apa backup.

My best guess is that the Motherboard's CMOS battery is bad, so I'm replacing it and hope that windows doesn't go crazy with the Date.

64 bit operating system

Still have the same problem, just looked at he date of July of 2018 when I last looked at this. I have two Windows 7 computer setups on one machine. I reinstalled Factorytalk View version 9 and stopped using this (the one my thread is based on).