I can't open a PLC program due to some problems related to language settings

ersinist

I am working on my diploma project and in some part of this project I have to modify an existing PLC program but I can't open it :(

The PLC is Simatic S7 300, and the software is STEP 7 Professional 2006 SR1.

it gives me the following error:

"The project or library was changed using tools of the windows explorer. The data for access protection has been modified to such extent that it is no longer possible to open the project or library."

I wonder if this problem about some language settings or not, and if it is possible to open this program. The program was written in Turkey, and now I am tryin to open it in Bulgaria but no success :unsure:

I will be grateful, if anyone of you can help me!

thanks in advance..

If you can contact the original programmer, then ask him (her ?) to set the project property "Can be opened under any Windows language settings (language neutral)".
He (she ?) can find this setting under the property setting for the entire project (the root of the project tree).

If you cannot contact the programmer, then simply try to install turkish language on your PC. If only to be able to go in and set that option.

yeah.. I changed the language seetings from "control panel--> Regional and language options-->Advanced" to Turish but it didn't work

Maybe the problem is something else.

If you received the complete project by email, then some mail servers automatically strip out some of the files that have a .lnk extension (link). This because hackers and spammers sometimes use such files to link to malicious websites.
I had this problem. The mailserver evevn knew how to look inside the archived (zipped) file, and blocked the .lnk files inside it.
I overcame this problem by packing this inside another zip file and put a password on it. That blocked the mail server from looking inside the zip file.

Thanks.. no I have received it by a CD, this is not the problem.

anyway.. I'd better speak with this guy who wrote the program

thanks again

He told me that he didn't write the program just donwloaded it into PLC and and he used Stepline S7 to open the program not Simatic Manager.

so maybe this is the problem.. Simatic Manager can't open the program..

actually, I don't know what Stepline S7 is.

Try to ask again what exactly the program is called.
Maybe he means STEP7.
There seems to be nothing that is called "stepline" for S7.

There are programming softwares for S7 not from Siemens. IBH, DeltaLogic and MHJ. They can typically import and export to a STEP7 project file.

sorry for the disturbance I have caused..

yeah.. he meant Siemens STEP7 Lite.. now I am loking for this software, I wonder if I can find kind of student version or something like that.

He uses STEP7 Lite to open the projects, but I can't open them with Simatic Manager. could this be the problem?

Last edited:
It is possible to change language settings without contacting author.

In your project folder there is folder called GLOBAL. Inside open file LANGUAGE

It says something like this:

English (United States)

You should change it to this:

And now you should be able to open project.

Please backup your original LANGUAGE file before you make any changes.