Please help my confused beginner brain

BYCTech

I'm event AV Technician (Sound, Projection, and Lighting).

Over the last couple of years I've used a Weigl ProCommander PHX to control some event spaces from a series of push buttons. PS+ to one terminal of button, and other terminal back to Input 1.

All I'm looking to do is swap the momentary push buttons for a photoelectric sensor but I can't get my head around the wiring of a 3 wire sensor with my ProCommander.

This video helped me get a much better understanding although I'm still lost with how it would work with the ProCommander because there doesn't seem to be a common on the back of it (Do I use the ground?).

I'm sure it's really simple but I can't get my head around it. (Perhaps being furloughed has rotted my brain a bit!)

A billion thanks in advance!

Originally posted by BYCTech:

...I'm still lost with how it would work with the ProCommander because there doesn't seem to be a common on the back of it (Do I use the ground?).

Yep. The external power supply common is what you use as the photoeye common. in fact, I would use the external power supply + as the sensor positive power and not connect that wire to the controller at all. There is no need to pull that supply current through the controller.

Keith

Yep. The external power supply common is what you use as the photoeye common. in fact, I would use the external power supply + as the sensor positive power and not connect that wire to the controller at all. There is no need to pull that supply current through the controller.

Keith

Thanks for the reply!

So when purchasing a photoelectric sensor, I need to get one with a separate power supply and then I just wire the output wire to the inputs of my controller?

Thanks for the reply!

So when purchasing a photoelectric sensor, I need to get one with a separate power supply and then I just wire the output wire to the inputs of my controller?

Hi, and welcome to the forum!!
Yes I think what Keith is saying is that if your controller has it's own internal power supply, then one ought to purchase a small power supply that will suit the demands of the photoelectric sensors you are wanting to use, and not hook the sensors up to the + and - on the controller. If the controller is powered by an independent power supply, then hook your + and - from your photoelectric sensor to the power bus from that power supply.
Yes, then hook your output from your photoelectric sensor to the input you want on your PLC/Controller. You may need to have a common 0 volts connection from the photoelectric sensor to the input module, and there could be issues with source/sink as far as the input module and photoelectric sensor signal. Hope this helps.

saultgeorge is correct. According to the controller manual you linked to you must already have at least one, possibly two, DC supplied to the controller. Whether it is one or two depends on whether you are supplying the controller/logic section (the supply connection on the far left of the controller) separate from the I/O section (the power bus running across the bottom of the connection diagram). In either case you already have the power supply required to supply the sensor. But if you are supplying the two sources from separate power supplies you should use the I/O supply (the one across the bottom) to power the photoeye. It isn't clear from the diagram if the I/O ground and the logic supply ground are separated or not. Assume they are.

Keith

Hey,

The application is to create a laser trip wire essentially. I'll need a range between 2-5m. I think retro reflective will suit my needs.
(Normally I use NO/NC Push buttons/levers which event goers interact with to trigger lights, sounds, secret doors etc. However in light of Covid-19 I need a contact free solution.) I'm really excited to get my head around this as it will certainly open up new options for triggering shows!đź“š

In its general application I've used just one power supply to power the ProCommander. From here, I've had a wire from the PSV+12-24 in the top left section (labelled Remote 1-8 on device) to one terminal of a push button. The other terminal was then wired back to Input 1.

How do I identify whether I need PNP/NPN? or does it not matter provided it's wired correctly? Also, no photoelectric sensors seem to come with power supplies so how do I correctly purchase the one I need? Just any 12VDC plug?

Apologies for struggling to grasp what I feel should be quite simple! Your help is truly appreciated!

Hey,

The application is to create a laser trip wire essentially. I'll need a range between 2-5m. I think retro reflective will suit my needs.
(Normally I use NO/NC Push buttons/levers which event goers interact with to trigger lights, sounds, secret doors etc. However in light of Covid-19 I need a contact free solution.) I'm really excited to get my head around this as it will certainly open up new options for triggering shows!đź“š

In its general application I've used just one power supply to power the ProCommander. From here, I've had a wire from the PSV+12-24 in the top left section (labelled Remote 1-8 on device) to one terminal of a push button. The other terminal was then wired back to Input 1.

How do I identify whether I need PNP/NPN? or does it not matter provided it's wired correctly? Also, no photoelectric sensors seem to come with power supplies so how do I correctly purchase the one I need? Just any 12VDC plug?

Apologies for struggling to grasp what I feel should be quite simple! Your help is truly appreciated!

If you are switching the positive wire then you need a PNP sensor. If you are switching the negetive wire then you need a NPN sensor.
Most industrial sensors are 24VDC. So you need to give the sensor 24vdc+ and 24vdc-, being only 1 sensor I don't see why you couldn't use the same power supply if it puts out 24vdc.

One way to not get your power supplies mixed up would be to get a PE with a relay output and just use the output to replace your switch and supply the PE from a separate power supply, you could even get one that the power supply could use mains voltage.

Alan/

You already answered, if you currently have a positive going to push button on one terminal and the other terminal from push button to input 1, then you have an input that requires a positive signal or sourcing, you can then use a positive to trigger input, so you need a PNP sensor. The sensor will have three wires two of which are power plus and minus and the third is signal connect signal to the input 1 and the other two wire to any dc power supply observing polarity or plus to plus and minus to minus. You can use the same power supply for sensor as for the Pro commander. You will be good. The information with PNP sensor will show which is signal and the plus and minus.