Teamviewer. Rslogix on my PC. Serial to 5/03 on site PC

DwSoFt

Lifetime Supporting Member
I read this thread already:
http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?p=737102#post737102

It talks about an Ethernet connection.

What I want to do is connect through a serial port on the clients computer with rslogix 500 on miñe through the wireless internet and with teamviewer (or something similar.if needed)
They have 2 5/03s. Someone before me installed rslogix500 on their computer. It they don't have a license.

Not sure what to.do.but I will try something tonight. Thanks.

You are after a way to route a com port over the internet.
There are hardware devices that does this, but it sounds as if you cannot add a hardware device onsite.
There is no on-board functionality to achieve that in Windows. However, there are commercial products.

For example.
http://www.virtual-serial-port.org/products/serial-over-ethernet/
It costs a neat 500 USD !

Here is another one:
https://www.tacticalsoftware.com/virtual-serial-port-redirector/serial-ip.htm
100 USD per "seat"

Another example:
http://www.hw-group.com/products/hw_vsp/index_en.html
Freeware if you respect the license.

I have no experience with any of the above though. My guess is that it will take some effort to get it to work.

Another option is to use Teamviewer to remotely control the PC onsite with RSLogix onboard. This is the easy solution, but requires there is RSLogix onsite.

Thank you Jesper. I downloaded the tactical software 30day trial 5 minutes ago, so I guess I am on the right path.
I'd prefer rslogix onsite but the client isnt not big enough really to justify a license. If it was easy to use my license when i needed to id go thay route but i doubt that is easy. It's tied to.my hard drive.

So thay leaves me with the virtual com port. I Wil give it a try and see how I make out. I don't mind paying for software for my job as long as it works for what I need.

You can also use RSLinx OEM on the onsite computer if it's accessible external to the plant via ethernet. Configure a DF1 driver on the onsite computer then a remote devices via Linx gateway on yours and they don't need a Logix license.

You can also use RSLinx OEM on the onsite computer if it's accessible external to the plant via ethernet. Configure a DF1 driver on the onsite computer then a remote devices via Linx gateway on yours and they don't need a Logix license.

This sounds like exactly what I want to do. Thank you, Ill give it a try.

Yes, they will need that license. It's around $1000, which is significantly cheaper than an RSL500 license. You could purchase an **** for a similar investment if you want to go a different route.

Ok. So i have confirmed I setup the teamviewer VPN correctly.
Trying to use a virtual serial port... RSLinx classic is currently in use on the clients end for FTView SE So the port is in use. I would have to stop the application to connect. through those ports, but i believe it is possible.
As for Rslinx, i can see the remote rslinx from my rslinx, using remote devices for RSlinx Gateway, but no connection, im assuming that is because i would need to enable the gateway (and have a license there) on the clients end.

Sound about right? I had to visit site yesterday anyways so i made some local changes and also tested these things.

Thanks for the help thus far.
Im probably going to sell them a Gateway license if i have too much grief trying to get the serial port method working, and it would also make it easier to connect when needed to.

a word of caution.
when remoting into any plant machine, you need to be aware of several things. this will be old school for many, new to others.

1. what state is the machine in, auto or manual?
2. is it in an auto cycle or in home position?
3. is anyone working on the machine or have tools in the machine?
4. have the safety guards been removed?
5. has a part been dropped, failed to release?
6. ask lots of questions, get the facts as best you can.
7. have a pencil and paper to write down all changes, forces, data changes as a safety.

when making an online edit, be sure everyone is clear of the machine, no tools are inside the machine, and all guards are in place. your edit may not do what you think.

I have had to remote into a machine several times, been told what was wrong, tried to fix the issue, and my notes saved the day.

be safe,
james

I would worry big time on maintaining a connection to a PLC across the Internet. Lots of issues, dropped connection while downloading or editing could cause locked PLC or leave it in a dangerous condition.
A lot better idea to load plc software on remote computer and operate that across the Internet.

I have several customers setup this way. The big advantage I have is using GE Machine Edition for my RX3i systems. The licenses are stored in the cloud. So I just connect to remote computer, download license from cloud, do work, verify working okay, return license to cloud.

Ok. So i have confirmed I setup the teamviewer VPN correctly.
Trying to use a virtual serial port... RSLinx classic is currently in use on the clients end for FTView SE So the port is in use. I would have to stop the application to connect. through those ports, but i believe it is possible.
As for Rslinx, i can see the remote rslinx from my rslinx, using remote devices for RSlinx Gateway, but no connection, im assuming that is because i would need to enable the gateway (and have a license there) on the clients end.

Sound about right? I had to visit site yesterday anyways so i made some local changes and also tested these things.

Thanks for the help thus far.
Im probably going to sell them a Gateway license if i have too much grief trying to get the serial port method working, and it would also make it easier to connect when needed to.

I would just the E W O N Route then.