Autocad electrical tutorials

James Mcquade

Everyone,

Due to covid-19, I am now laid off with no chance of rehire. all the jobs I am looking at want autocad electrical experience.
I used autocad to create libraries and do schematics that way, but now I need to learn autocad electrical. I did an upgrade of my copy to electrical several years ago for almost nothing and found a job that did not use it and never had the time to learn it, big mistake on mypart. I did a search for autocad electrical tutorials and didn't find (or I missed it) what I was looking for.
Does anyone have any sites that are good tutorial sites / information? thanks for your help in advance.
james

Join the Autocad forum, they have 100's of tutorial, and knowledge base for almost anything you might need to draw/create.

Youtube also has 100's of tutorials for autocad electrical.

Corporate said so, don't ask me why. When they are running wide open, they will need someone. if the person I worked with quits or gets hurt, they will be up creek !
james

Unfortunately, a lot of US companies are taking this approach when multiple people need to be laid off. If they take James back and not another person, it can force the company to prove why they selected him instead of another former employee if a discrimination or wrongful termination lawsuit were filed. A company I am familiar with has taken the same approach in the past because their documentation is weak and they just don't want the headache of a potential lawsuit. Overall, it can be a huge loss of training and tribal knowledge that will lead to lost time and money.

I wish you the best of luck, James. Keep us posted on your upcoming success.

Oh okay, I thought you meant no chance of rehire from any company. You were talking about your last company specifically. I was thinking surely with the help of God, it shouldn't be difficult for an engineer to find a job in USA.

LinkedIn Learning has several decent tutorials. They are good for showing you where things are located and how to use them. But they lack a little in that they don't dig into the details for setting up a project.

Thanks for your comments.

I was the low man on the totem pole, and I understand letting me go. no orders, means no work. when orders go from $2,000,000 per month to less than 500,000, that's a big hit. the part about no rehire is puzzling to me. I was in the IT department which is a specialized skill set.
the issue I am facing is that I am 61, lots of knowledge and experience in engineering and the IT department. companies want someone younger that will stick around and not retire at 62. I plan to work till 67 or longer. also, with so many people laid off, high paying jobs are being paid with lower salaries (at least that's what I am seeing) and so many new requirements. it's hard to keep up on the latest requirements for the IT part anyway. just venting a bit, but still looking.
james

Last edited:
Unfortunately, a lot of US companies are taking this approach when multiple people need to be laid off. If they take James back and not another person, it can force the company to prove why they selected him instead of another former employee if a discrimination or wrongful termination lawsuit were filed. A company I am familiar with has taken the same approach in the past because their documentation is weak and they just don't want the headache of a potential lawsuit. Overall, it can be a huge loss of training and tribal knowledge that will lead to lost time and money.

I wish you the best of luck, James. Keep us posted on your upcoming success.

+1. I've heard a lot of companies have a no-rehire policy for just that reason: if they rehire one, they have to rehire anyone that used to work there. Although not in James' case, a lot of companies lay off to get rid of dead wood, and they don't want to re-hire them.
And now with the economy, it's an employers' market, and they can ask for the moon (AutoCad electrical) and probably get someone. Not so much when everyone is working. I wish you the best, James. I've always learned something reading your posts/replies.

Update for everyone.

i'm still looking for a job. several interviews, but others are more qualified (that's what I was told).
with so many people laid off, jobs that used to pay $50/hour before Covid-19 are now paying $30-$40 per hour. I have also been told that by several head hunters.
I applied for 1 engineering job and over 600 applied for it based on the website I was using. add to that, companies are now adding a lot more requirements for positions to save money.

so save what money you can for the future just in case.
james