Shielded 110 vac cable in the same conduit with Twisted Cat 5 cable . Ok to do ?

Rob S.

Good Morning ,

I have a quick project to do , I know it is not a good practice , but can you put a shielded 120 ac cable in the same conduit as a twisted Cat 5 cable for a computer ?

Thanks ,

I don’t have my code book beside me but basically the NEC requires the voltage rating of all wires in the same raceway to be the same.

I don't believe the wire ratings need to be the same. I understand it to mean all insulation for conductors must be rated for the maximum circuit voltage present in the wireway. In Rob's case, the insulation of all conductors would need to be rated for 120VAC. The stuff we use is rated for 300V. Please correct me if I am wrong.
I don't like to run ethernet cabling in the same conduit as any AC wiring, but when I have had to, it was a short run (under 15 feet) and I used shielded ethernet cabling and had good luck.

drforsythe,

I think we are saying the same thing. ALL wires and cables in a single conduit must be rated at the same insulation voltage level. 120 volt wires have an insulation rating of 300 volts. so if you put a cat 5 cable in the same conduit, it must have an insulation rating of 300 volts as well.
Having seen burnt and shorted wires in a conduit, I would not allow this in a plant, the risk is not worth burning up everything connected to that Ethernet cable. routers, switches and anything else on the switch / router.
james

Last edited:
Not good practice by any means, but I've seen it done often enough to know that you probably won't have any issues.

I don’t have my code book beside me but basically the NEC requires the voltage rating of all wires in the same raceway to be the same.

Hi, also without having my code book, most THHN, which say would be a number 14 wire for your 120 VAC has insulation rated at 600V. For instance, one has seen many CPT's in a panel fed from a fuse or terminal block with 480V using 12 or 14 wire for the primary feed. I'm not sure what the insulation rating is for CAT 7, but I don't think it's 600V. If not, then it would be illegal code-wise to run them in the same conduit, noise issues notwithstanding.

I am not trying to be argumentative. I just would like to know if I am misinterpreting something or not referencing the right info. This is what I was referencing when I mentioned that the insulation has to be rated for the highest circuit voltage:

NFPA70 Article 300.3(c)(1) Conductors of Different Systems. (1) 1000 Volts, Nominal, or Less. Conductors of ac and dc circuits, rated 1000 volts, nominal, or less, shall be permitted to occupy the same equipment wiring enclosure, cable, or raceway. All conductors shall have an insulation rating equal to at least the maximum circuit voltage applied to any conductor within the enclosure, cable, or raceway. Secondary wiring to electric-discharge lamps of 1000 volts or less, if insulated for the secondary voltage involved, shall be permitted to occupy the same luminaire, sign, or outline lighting enclosure as the branch-circuit conductors

I am not trying to be argumentative. I just would like to know if I am misinterpreting something or not referencing the right info. This is what I was referencing when I mentioned that the insulation has to be rated for the highest circuit voltage:

NFPA70 Article 300.3(c)(1) Conductors of Different Systems. (1) 1000 Volts, Nominal, or Less. Conductors of ac and dc circuits, rated 1000 volts, nominal, or less, shall be permitted to occupy the same equipment wiring enclosure, cable, or raceway. All conductors shall have an insulation rating equal to at least the maximum circuit voltage applied to any conductor within the enclosure, cable, or raceway. Secondary wiring to electric-discharge lamps of 1000 volts or less, if insulated for the secondary voltage involved, shall be permitted to occupy the same luminaire, sign, or outline lighting enclosure as the branch-circuit conductors

You're probably in the right area in the code. A lot has changed, and since I don't do much construction any more, I don't keep up with it like I used to. Only when my license renewal comes due and I have to do CEU's for the state.
I would say the operative words are "...voltage applied to ANY conductor within the raceway..."
So as far as the OP is concerned, if he is only applying 120V and the CAT 7 is rated above that, then I see this as OK. Most of the veterans on here disagree with it because of the noise, but code-wise it would probably be legal. I have never been allowed to do that, even in an emergency. In a pinch I've yahoo-ed ethernet cable on strut with tie wraps, slung it over beams and column supports, tie wrapped it on the outside of raceways (I think that's illegal also) but never put it in with AC. I've seen too many issues with that.

Last edited:
I still urge you to not do this and here is why.
an Ethernet switch can cost $4k for a 48 port switch.
if there is a short in the 120 volt wiring and it gets to the Ethernet wires, then the switch port and everything else connected to the switch can be fried. if this is a stacked switch, then even bigger issues. then you must consider production losses due to downtime. We learned from experience not to do this after an incident. But, the decision is yours to make.
james

We commonly run 120 and 480 in same conduit, but 600V rated wire.
We run a separate conduit with any 24 VDC, Analog signals, and Ethernet.

Look, there's no law against riding an electric scooter down a waterslide. A cursory assessment of the suggestion gives me some compelling reasons I should not do so, but if you have an absolutely compelling reason why you think you should, then the law won't stop you.