SLC 5/04 processor help

Akbrewer

Hello,
I have a SLC 5/04 processor that I can't get online with and hope someone can help me with any ideas. This processor has a DH+ and DH-485 port consisting of a male RS232.

I'm trying to use the RS232 port as I don't have a DH+ setup to try. I've tried using a 1747-CP3 cable and a 1747-UIC cable - note that both of my cables are aftermarket cables, not A/B brand. My UIC cable has a male end, so I had to buy a female to female RS232 connector for this cable, and I also have tried buying a null modem RS232 female to female connector as well. But I can't get the system to talk to my computer. even in trying various settings and drivers on RSLinx, and using several videos and documents supplied with my cables on how to connect with the 5/04 processors. I can sometimes get my cable indicator lights to flicker and on a few attempts I could get RSLinx to say "node 0 found" but the processor never shows up in RsLinx, and I've tried to go online anyway in case RSLinx is not showing the processor, but nothing happens.

The PLC was originally set up to use the RS232 port with a phone modem for remote help, but we no longer use the modem and have removed it.
I looked at the program and there are two settings for Channel 0 for this RS232/DH485 plug listed in the Channel configuration for the processor. Those settings are:
Chan 0 - system. DF-1 Full Duplex, 9600 baud, no parity, 1 stop bit, BCC error checking, Control line is Full Duplex Modem
Chan 0 - User. Driver is ASCII, 1200 Baud, no parity, 1 stop bit, 8 data bits, control line is no handshaking.

I can access several other 5/04 processors I have around our facility very easily using the same cables, but they all have female RS232 connectors, so I'm guessing that this model with the male connector has something different I need to do? Thanks for any help in advance!

Last edited:
Hello,
I have a SLC 5/04 processor that I can't get online with and hope someone can help me with any ideas. This processor has a DH+ and DH-485 port consisting of a male RS232.

I'm trying to use the RS232 port as I don't have a DH+ setup to try. I've tried using a 1747-CP3 cable and a 1747-UIC cable - note that both of my cables are aftermarket cables, not A/B brand. My UIC cable has a male end, so I had to buy a female to female RS232 connector for this cable, and I also have tried buying a null modem RS232 female to female connector as well. But I can't get the system to talk to my computer. even in trying various settings and drivers on RSLinx, and using several videos and documents supplied with my cables on how to connect with the 5/04 processors. I can sometimes get my cable indicator lights to flicker and on a few attempts I could get RSLinx to say "node 0 found" but the processor never shows up in RsLinx, and I've tried to go online anyway in case RSLinx is not showing the processor, but nothing happens.

The PLC was originally set up to use the RS232 port with a phone modem for remote help, but we no longer use the modem and have removed it.
I looked at the program and there are two settings for Channel 0 for this RS232/DH485 plug listed in the Channel configuration for the processor. Those settings are:
Chan 0 - system. DF-1 Full Duplex, 9600 baud, no parity, 1 stop bit, BCC error checking, Control line is Full Duplex Modem
Chan 0 - User. Driver is ASCII, 1200 Baud, no parity, 1 stop bit, 8 data bits, control line is no handshaking.

I can access several other 5/04 processors I have around our facility very easily using the same cables, but they all have female RS232 connectors, so I'm guessing that this model with the male connector has something different I need to do? Thanks for any help in advance!

Well if you have the program, you could always reset the comms port to "System" offline.

Then perform a memory clear on the SLC. That will reset the port to system, and you should be able to get online and download the modified offline file.

Of course, only do this if you are sure the offline file you have is up to date.....

If the RS232 port is set to DH485 you will need the UIC with a null modem cable.

Before you plug in the UIC to the USB port check the switch hidden on the side of the UIC. Make sure it is in the RS232 position, then plug it in - otherwise it is trying to use the RJ45 connector. You will need a paper clip or small screwdriver to move the switch.

There is the possibility the RS232 port on the 5/04 is programmed to DF-1. Try the null modem cable directly to a serial adapter, go to configure the DF1 driver and click AutoConfigure to see if RSLinx finds it.

Do you have a offline copy of the program? if yes reset the PLC to factory default and use the CP3 cable, when you reset it back to factory default you will clear the memory (lose the program) and set all ports back to factory default

To do this remove the battery and short out VBB to GND for 30 sec

Then you can download the program back to the PLC

Welcome to the forum.

it could be that the rs232 port is bad. we had this happen 2 years ago and had to replace the plc with another 5/04. we sent the unit in for repair and it works fine now. we had the dh+ cable and was able to connect up to the plc is how we discovered the issue.
james

Welcome to the forum.

it could be that the rs232 port is bad. we had this happen 2 years ago and had to replace the plc with another 5/04. we sent the unit in for repair and it works fine now. we had the dh+ cable and was able to connect up to the plc is how we discovered the issue.
james

On a similar note,

It was a Mitsubishi PLC the OEM wanted to 'protect' so they opened the PLC and moved some wires on the programming port. They had a cable modified the same and could use their cable with their PLC.

If someone did the same with the SLC port...............

Thanks for the help!

Apologies for my delayed response to the posts, but thanks for all of the advice. I'm going to try resetting the PLC and see where that gets me. We don't need the modem port anymore, so that sounds like the easiest route unless it's a bad port as suggested here in another port.
Cheers!

If you have other 5/04s around the shop, on a off day or any day, just run a DH+ cable (Blue Hose) from this processor to another working processor hooked to laptop and you should be able to see it in RSLinx. That is if they didnt disable the DH+ port.

Wait, what? Are you saying the cables all have female connectors except for "this model", or "this model" SLC has a female connector? Does this model mean the cable or the controller? The SLC 5/04 has a male RS232 connector. Always has. Perhaps someone could have applied a gender changer to accommodate a cable with a male connector.

If you can use the same cable, with the same PC and successfully communicate with other controllers, then the problem is likely with that one SLC. You listed the configuration settings for System and User mode and the System settings are different from Default so someone has modified those settings. If you create the DF1 driver in RSLinx I would suggest you manually enter the settings to match the System settings you've described.

And I would be careful stringing DH+ cables. If they are not using DH+ currently then they are all likely using the same default DH+ Node number and you'd end up with duplicate nodes on the network. It is a good idea as long as you watch for that issue.

OG

p.s. It's not unusual to see the RS232 lights flicker briefly when trying to setup communications. Unless the port has been disabled, it is always listening

Last edited: