factory talk push buttons

ghriver

This should be simple, so im over looking it. I have a tag in 5000 controller called HmiBool[1]. i want two buttons to point to that. on button that sets it to a one and leaves it there instead of setting it back to a zero. and another button that sets it to zero and leaves it there instead of putting it back to one when the operator lets go.

I dont want a single toggle on/off button, i want two buttons one for on and one for off.

so i see i cant use a momentary push button cause it sets it back when the operator lets go.

there is another scada package looking at the same address with two buttons, one button sets it to 0 and the other to 1, and i read the address to colorize the buttons. so adding extra code just to support the buttons on factory talk isn't preferred.

can you edit the controller code (I assume you meant edting the FT code is what isn't preferred)?

Code:
  HmiBoolOn       HmiBool[1]
----] [--------------]L[----
The {ON} FT push button drives HmiBoolOn.

There are other ways to do that, and a similar rung for HmiBoolOff

Update: wait a minute, I think the ONS is not needed.

Last edited:
You didn't specify FactoryTalk View ME or SE, but I am guessing you are using ME. To accomplish this, Here is what you do.

Create a Memory Tag in FTV. Make it digital and name it accordingly. I'll call it "Unlatch_HMIBool" here.

Turn ON the Bit
Create a Latch push button
On the Connections tab assign "HMIBool" as the Value and the Indicator
Assign the Memory tag "Unlatch_HMIBool" as the Handshake connection (unlatch)

Turn OFF the Bit
Create a Momentary push button
On the Connections tab assign Unlatch_HMIBool as the Value

The Latch button will turn the bit ON but cannot turn it off. The Momentary will turn it OFF but cannot turn it on.

Just to throw out my opinion, generally we prefer to handle this within the logic of the PLC rather than in the HMI. But I will leave that up to you. But that should accomplish what you are after.

If using FactoryTalk View SE, this is actually quite a bit easier. Let us know and we can tell you how to do it in SE.

OG

it is factory talk ME, i didn't realize it would take so many steps to set a boolean from 0 to 1, seems like the simplest of tasks. In ifix its as simple as calling closedigitalpoint("tagname") from a button or opendigitalpoint("tagname").

It really isn't that many steps. There is just one "extra" step to create the memory tag. Beyond that, it is just two buttons.

In SE it is very easy to do this. ME is much more restricted.

OG

I believe that if you change the button type to maintained and just address the tag directly if the tag is true it will write a false to the tag and if it is false it will write a true
why complicate things with unnecessary code

First you can have 2 buttons reading/ writing to the same tag the program doesn't know the difference.
with the Momentary button the panel view sets tag to true (1) when the button is pushed and resets the tag to false when the button is released .
the Maintained button will change the state when it's pushed so id it's false it will change to true and if it is true it will change to false
it will not change again until the next time the the button is activated.
Both buttons will work the same way

Another way to do what you want is use the multi state button set on to. if the tag is true write false and the other if the tag is false write true otherwise do nothing