Installing RSLogix 5000 rev. 19.01.01 on Windows10 Enterprise PC

lsam

After trying multiple times to install Revision 19 on a fresh Windows10 Enterprise OS Laptop, I contacted Rockwell Support for help via Chat. After about 2.5 hours on their chat line I was informed that revision would not work in a Windows 10 environment and that I would have to install it on a Windows 7 OS laptop to install it to use on my Compact Logix plc. Does anyone know a workaround for this so that I do not need a second computer just for this machine with a OS that is or will soon be not supported any longer by MS? Revision 16 installed with no problems at all but revision 19 will not install.

I'm surprised it took so long to identify the software wasn't supported. I think many of his here already knew that just from the title of this post.

In my experience, I would typically install newer, supported versions first, then it would let me install older unsupported versions. Unsupported doesn't necessarily mean it doesn't work. It just means they don't support it. Keep in mind version 19 came out in 2008. I think v16 was in 2006 or 2007. Some versions are a little more painful than others to get to work "unsupported".

Because our industry installs equipment sometime for decades without upgrading, we often run into older equipment. That older equipment sometimes requires older software that won't run in modern operating systems. Using virtual machines allows us to launch older operating systems so we can run that older software and work on that equipment.

I have XP virtual machines and even a DOS machine in addition to Win7 and server type virtual machines. It really is the only way to support such an array of older systems along with newer systems.

OG

I found one of our old laptops in the back of one of our storage cabinets that we haven't used for 2-4 years with WindowsXP SP3 OS on it. I have installed the original RSLogix 10-19 software from my original disc and figured out how to pull activation from my windows10 Enterprise OC laptop using our company network. Don't know how long this will work like this though. It is real slow at opening the software and there is no way Internet Explorer 8 is going to work very well if I should need access to Rockwell's support web site. So, I guess I am going to have to figure out how to update my CompactLogix CPU and program file to a later version. I'm only about 3 years from retiring and I was trying to leave the company in as good a shape with their PLC programs as possible.

Some of the older versions are still updated and support newer operating systems, such as V16 and V20 because these are the newest versions some hardware supports. You may want to consider flashing your processor up to version 20 so you can use a supported version of RSlogix5000.

Isn't flashing to a newer revision a bit risky in rendering the program and/or the CPU inoperable?

Flashing wipes the program, then needs redownloaded.

It is not as risky as the popup in RSL5K seems to indicate - actually I have never had a problem.

You have to keep in mind that specific processors can only be flashed to certain versions (I work on an old 5555 CPU can only go to v20 and both I and the customer would like to update it to v26 but they don't want to buy a new CPU right now)

About "3 years from retiring" - From my perspective that will be about the age 93 for me, because there is no way I could live on what i would get from Social Security if I tried to retire now.

It used to be with older hardware. The newer controllers have a fallback where they revert back to their out-of-box version. I don't recall which version of CompactLogix added this capability. My guess would be the L4x series is when it was added, but someone here may be able to say if the L3x had this.

I believe it's bigger brother, the ControlLogix, only got this with the introduction of the L7x series.

OG

My processor is ComactLogix L43. So, if I flash the controller, what is the latest revision that I can go to? I have rev.32 available in Studio 5000 and nearly everything else below that. So, I don't have to rewrite the PLC program for the existing program to work in a later revision? That would be O2Cool:wish:.

After trying multiple times to install Revision 19 on a fresh Windows10 Enterprise OS Laptop, I contacted Rockwell Support for help via Chat. After about 2.5 hours on their chat line I was informed that revision would not work in a Windows 10 environment and that I would have to install it on a Windows 7 OS laptop to install it to use on my Compact Logix plc. Does anyone know a workaround for this so that I do not need a second computer just for this machine with a OS that is or will soon be not supported any longer by MS? Revision 16 installed with no problems at all but revision 19 will not install.

I have a client who is using V19 on a Win 10 machine, but I didn't install the software.

This laptop that has Windows10 Enterprise on it used to have Windows7 Professional on it and RSLogix 19 worked well. I kept telling my IT dept that the hard drive was about to crash for about a year because it was too full and they would take it and free up some space so I could continue to use it. Finally it did what I told them it was going to do and therefore a new 1Tb SSD was installed to replace the 250Gb SSD that crashed. So, now I am trying to get all of my Rockwell Software reloaded on the new drive. That's where I ran into trouble because the Windows10 OS would not load the RSLogix 10-19 from my original CD. If they could have migrated everything from the old SSd to the new SSD and then upgraded to Windows10, it might still work. But that didn't happen. So, now it looks my only hope is to flash my controller to a version that works with Windows10 and pray it will accept the existing program in the new revision.🤞🏻

I'm running windows 10 and currently have v32, 19 and 13 installed with no issues. I did however install v32 first and then the older versions of the RSLogix software. Have you tried to install newest then install just the RSLogix versions you need?

However if you need to flash an older version like 13 for example you will need a VM to run that version of ControlFlash software as it is not supported on Windows 10. Of course it took online support an hour to tell me this. The support guy did not get a great review to say the least.

Yes, I tried installing v32 first. That didn't work for me. Then I uninstalled v32 and tried installing the multi-version of v32 first and that didn't work either. I actually tried downloading and Installing RSLogix 5000 (any version) and that didn't work either until about the 9th try. Don't know what changed. But it finally did install. Maybe there's a problem with our local network and I didn't get the full download those previous 8 tries, I don't know. Bur I have noticed when I try to download v19 it comes up as a "MiniImage". The other versions that installed successfully did not come up like that.

About "3 years from retiring" - From my perspective that will be about the age 93 for me, because there is no way I could live on what i would get from Social Security if I tried to retire now.

I can't either. Not and have a girlfriend. I tried "retiring" 10 years ago next month when I got a buy-out from my job out west. The money wasn't too bad, but not real good either. I guess I could be considered the "grasshopper" in the fable. Mainly, though, I was going nuts.
And I'm not interested in nor can I compete with the ladies than have 2.2 in the bank and are looking for "travel partners." A little OT, but I feel you, bro.

Last edited: