PView Plus RSView ME 4.0 problem

Money4Nothing

I have a Panelview Plus and Compact Logix L32E processor connected with a laptop via an ethernet switch. Actually, I'm on the phone with a tech in the field trying to load the project.

The proc and Logix5k are version 13, and they are running RSView studio ME 4.0 on the laptop. When they run the test feature on Studio all the tags and variables from the PLC operate fine. But when they compile and load the runtime .mer into the Panelview, there is no tag communication.

We can see both devices on RSLinx, and they're online with everything from the laptop. They can transfer the project to the terminal from RSView no problem. But somehow the PV+ isn't seeing the tag server on the proc. I'm baffled, becuase we can test the same project on the RSView studio test runtime, and it works fine.

All my firmware checks out with my software versions, unless there is some minor incompatibilities that I'm unaware of.

I've never come across this before...any ideas on what to check next?

Thanks in advance.

$

Make sure he checks the RSLinx Enterprise TARGET communication setup. I have seen that when the application is moved to different computers the configuration gets corrupted.

Money4Nothing said:
Good idea. I had him copy the Local setup to Target, but never really made him check and confirm that it is correct. This definitely sounds like a possibility.

$

Also in the Transfer Utility dialog box, the "When Application Runs: Replace Communications" needs to be checked at least for the intial download to establish a new communications path in the target device

Ian

Ugh, I had them try both ideas, still no luck. Target path looks good, and Replace Comms when application runs is set properly. When the PV+ loads the project, they are replacing comms also. I'm still working on a solution. grrr

$

You've probably already checked this, but is the PV+ on the same subnet and gateway as the controller and PC? From the description of your problem, the communications are fine between the PC and the PV+ (during download) and the PC and CompactLogix (during the runtime test), but the PV+ and CompactLogix don't seem to want to talk...

Rick

communication problem

I have actually ran into this problem before. Go to the PV and open up the the application settings and verify the IP address back to the processor. Also, turn the PV off and back on so that the application IP address to processor and be rescanned.
It sounds like you may have more then one address in the application pointing back to the processor.
I hope this helps.
The intial communications setup is the biggest headache with RSview studio ME.

Money4Nothing said:
Ugh, I had them try both ideas, still no luck. Target path looks good, and Replace Comms when application runs is set properly. When the PV+ loads the project, they are replacing comms also. I'm still working on a solution. grrr

$

They should be able to ping the PV+ and the target PLC from the downloading PC, if not, that issue needs to be resolved first

Ian

There is a proceedure to replace the RS Linx Enterprize local server info file. I do think it is a default file located in one of the folders created with the initial install. I have experienced the same bug. The Linx configuration was once configured for an offline file and the all heck broke loose when I went for tags online.. I don't remember the file name but I do know A-B offers in their free knowledge base a system batch file that will automatically replace the tag server file with the install default. Then re-assign the topic, path, and update all folders in the tag browser and your good to compile.

bitmore