High Speed Counter Totalizer

Tomo453

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have a non-contact laser encoder connected to a high speed counter. I have posted screen shots of the configuration and logic. The total counts work fine until the counter rolls over, and then I get trash values oscillating between negative and positive. The process is to measure length. It seems to be an overflow issue, but a DINT should be a large enough data type to hold the total count even if the counter rolls over multiple times in a run. I feel like this subject has been worked to death, but I am definitelly missing something. I do have the counter configured as a counter and not an encoder desiganation. I am using quadrature inputs A, A- and B, B-.

1734VHSC_config.PNG 1734VHSC_config2.PNG 1734VHSC_config3.PNG Laser_Encoder_HSC_Logic.PNG Laser_Encoder_HSC_Logic2.PNG

Last edited:
My logic was flawed. i was adjusting the total counts on rollover condition, but the current count needed to be adjusted on rollover by the number of rollovers times the rollover value. This way the last scan count is updated accordingly. Now to account for the line reversing as currently I simply check if current scan is less than last scan to increment the rollover count.