Weird firmware update message in RSLogix5000

bitmonkey

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi Guys,
Recently we had a third party integrator add a Fenetech scanner to one of our lines, and made many changes to our PLC program. It sorta works, most of the time.
My question is when I try to use their project file to go online with the PLC, it gives me a message that says I can't go online with this controller with this project file because the project file has a newer firmware version than the PLC cpu, and I must do a firmware update on the PLC cpu in order to go online.
This makes no sense to me.
I think they may have used Studio 5000 to go online, I am using RSLogix5000, could this be the issue? I can use an older version of the project file to go online with the PLC, but then I don't see the new descriptors.
Any help would be appreciated as they are dragging their feet.
Cheers,
Brian

In RSLinx what is the controller firmware?
In the project, before you go online, what firmware level does it say the project is?
What version of RSLogix 5K are you using?
Is the IP address correct for the PLC you wish to connect to?

It would be helpful if you provide the current firmware version of the controller and the declared version in the application.

I thank you for your responses. When I get back to work monday night, I can give exact answers your questions.
As best as I can remember, it says the controller firmware version is 12.5 and the project file firmware is 13.x and I must perform a firmware upgrade on the controller in order to go online.

My colleague using Studio 5000 is having the same problem. I am using an older version of the project file to go online with RSLogix5000 with no problem. But when I send him this project file and he uses it to go online with the PLC in Studio 5000 he gets the same message about having to do a firmware upgrade in order to go online with the PLC.

Bitmonkey, it appears the integrator put the processor back to v12 when they did the update. You'll need RSL5000 v12 loaded in your laptop in order to go online OR you'll have to upgrade the processor to the version you are trying to go online with (not recommended until you get a copy of what is currently in the PLC because the firmware update will write over what the integrator did).