New Laptop and VMware Workstation 14

trueninjalo

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello staff,
I am decommissioning an old laptop and moving to a new one. Our laptops each have a toolkit for activation to be stored locally. The new laptop is Win 10 pro but I also have keys and .iso files for win 7 pro and win xp. I am thinking get one serial for VMware workstation 14 Pro and on the other computers use player, then setup VMs for each circumstance needed. Now while reading about installation order of Rockwell programs I found this thread http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=61157&page=2

One of the posts stated using activation manager and Linx on the host, and having all VMs use the host for Linx and Activation. I am pretty sure I can get this to work with the first machine using Pro, but not sure about the ones using player. I am still a bit fuzzy on some things.

1) will the newly created VMs be able to transfer to the player machines via clones or snapshots?
2) When setting up the NIC, is it best to use host IP, Nat, other choice?
3) am I missing anything else?

I am trying to get a path before I start this process, so any wisdom I can gain would be fantastic. Please let me know your thoughts and have a great day.

Thanks,
Anthony

Edit: What about EDS, AOPs and device profiles? Do they go on the host or on each VM.

Last edited:
Last time I looked at "Player" it required a license for "Commercial use"...technically.

VMs will work between player and workstation. Networking is the biggest hassle with player, especially if you have multiple NICs. Player doesn't natively expose the virtual network editor, so it can be a hassle. If you are paying for VMWare Player, just move workstation all around.

Also, just because you have .ISO files for Win7 and WinXP doesn't mean you will be properly licensed for all the VM instances you might run.

Last time I looked at "Player" it required a license for "Commercial use"...technically.

VMs will work between player and workstation. Networking is the biggest hassle with player, especially if you have multiple NICs. Player doesn't natively expose the virtual network editor, so it can be a hassle. If you are paying for VMWare Player, just move workstation all around.

Also, just because you have .ISO files for Win7 and WinXP doesn't mean you will be properly licensed for all the VM instances you might run.

Thanks for the heads up, we have or soon will have proper keys for all software being used (commercially). I mentioned .iso files as I have read up on the using VMs and it was mentioned that its faster to run from .iso instead of a dvd. What do you mean when you say move workstation? Do you mean move workstation pro around? I wasn't aware I could do that. I plan on having pro on my primary machine and having others use the player. Is network editor available at all in player?

Thanks again