Power Supplies: Linear vs. Switching

Dongleboy

Fellow associates,

I would like to solicit some feedback regarding your preference of external power supplies used in control systems. Specifically, linear vs. switching.

I am well aware of the differences between the two in regards to efficiency, noise, etc, but I would like the opinion of the experienced.

Kindest regards,

Dave

I generally use a switcher in new installations.
Smaller, cooler, and more efficient. Hard to lose.
I find that any industrial duty electronics - prox, PLCs, solenoids, etc. have no problem with the switcher.

Same here. I have been using the ones that run off of 480VAC three phase. If it weren't for the laptop plug-in outlet requirement, some of our machines wouldn't have a control transformer.

Why bother with expensive regulated power supplies for operating solenoids and contactors?
A single-phase bridge & capacitor should be adequate.
A 3-phase full-wave bridge with no filtering would do nicely.