FBC(file bit comparison) instruction

thejerryguy

In my SLC 504 programs, I have used the FBC instruction to scan a word for a bit that has been set. This instruction is not supported in the micrologix 1500. I need to create an FBC instruction in a mocrologix 1500 system.

Maybe copy the word to a temporary register, then examine temp_reg.0 for true, if not loop through 15 times, each time dividing the word by 2 (shift right) and examine again temp_reg.0 for true.

Or perhaps, use a bit-shift?

For a quick way of seeing if any bit is set, just compare the word to zero. Not equal means at least one bit is set somewhere.

You could also set up a register and shift a single bit through each of 16 positions and AND that with the test word.

A Q&D way to do it is to just create an SBR - 17 rungs.

XIC N7:0/0 BST MOV N7:1 0 NXB RET BND
XIC N7:0/1 BST MOV N7:1 1 NXB RET BND
XIC N7:0/2 BST MOV N7:1 2 NXB RET BND
XIC N7:0/15 BST MOV N7:1 15 NXB RET BND
OTL N7:1/15

The position of the first found bit will be in N7:1. If N7:1 is negative then no bit was found.

Its not the most compact code, but its probably the fastest to enter.