S7-1500 External encoder TO

grnick50

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello all,

I am using an IFM RM3011 absolute encoder with a S7-1500 PLC. I am using telegram 81 and external encoder technology object. The axis is an endless shaft 0-360 degrees. I enabled modulo function for the TO. All is working as it should with no problems at all.
I have some doubts about the homing function. In the TO I configured homing to be triggered from a digital input. How ever the axis is not homed when the DI is on. I over came this by using MC_HOME.
The axis is homed but the encoder pulses are not reset to zero. Is this normal? I would expect that when the axis is homed, not only the degrees will assume the home value but the encoder pulses will reset to zero. Is there any chance that when the pulse count hits the 4,294,967,295 limit I will get an error and the TO will stop working or it will just roll over to zero?

Regards.