I need some help.

Garrett

What is the difference between an Examine On and an
Examine Off instruction? and The symbol for an Examine On instruction and an
electrical Normally Open symbol are the same ( -| |- ).
What is the difference between the two?

Last edited:
I'm taking a Industrial Automation class for college and have a few questions. The teacher said get the answers anyway you can....so I used my head and found this place...I hope you all can help.....thanks

1.List one advantage and one disadvantage of being able to
control the logic of a system from a remote site. Give
specific examples.

2.List two advantages of using a Programmable Logic
Controller to replace RELAY LOGIC. Give specific
examples.

It's an open lab class....We get a few pages to read about the history....then he gives a list of questions and says have at it....Ive googled my brains out for these answers, I'm ready for the spoon!

I'm ready for the spoon!
A spoonful of sugar may help the medicine go down, but try this radical approach. Stop Googling and start thinking.

Instead of looking for what somebody else might have said about your homework assignment, consider this scenario.

There is a process plant controlled by a PLC. You can access that PLC from a remote location and make changes to the control system. If you make good changes, you may inprove the efficiency of the process. If you make bad changes, you may blow up the plant. Is the ability to make changes from a remote location an advantage or a disadvantage?

Our policy around here is to NOT do your homework for you. When you have code questions, post what you have first. We love helping you learn, but we won't do it for you.

So... What have you found so far?? Think about it -- why would it be nice to be able to control something remotely? Are there potential hazards?? Why might it be nice to have something programmable instead of something hardwired?? When might it be better to have something hardwired?? Advantages/Disadvantages of each??

garret this is a basic example that may help with your thought process.

case 1: you have physically hard wired 10 N/O contacts that should be N/C now you must change them.

case 2: you have programmed 10 "examine if on" bits that should be "examine if off" now you must change your program.

which of these two cases would take the least time ?