Adding N integers to a PLC5-40E: 2000 Files

jubly

Hi everyone,
I'm a Siemens expert but currently need to do a bit of AB PLC5 work. I have a PLC5/40E. I would like to know if I can add my own N values in a separate file.
The current setup is: N7: 200 elements; N10:200, N15:500, N16:200, N17:100, N18:100, N19:1, N21:100, N25:500, N30:48. Total 1949.
Is there a limit of 2000 integers on this PLC? If so, I am assuming that I add up all the integers I have and what is left out of 2000 is what I have to play with?
If I do want to add, let's say N22, 50 integers, do I create that in the software offline and download it?
Any help/answers greatly appreciated.
Many thanks
Phil

Hi Phil,

I think with the PLC5, the limit is the actual processor memory, not sure I have seen a limitation of 2000.

Go onto the tab from \project\controller\Controller properties and see what memory you have left...

To create it you have 2 ways...yes you can do this offline and download it as a project, or you can go online, put the PLC into Remote Program mode, then create your new Data File area.

In your example, as long as 22 is not used for an F or B or C or whatever data file, then the PLC will let you create it.
Once created, put the PLC back into Run mode, and use the data area.

Hi John,

Thanks for your answer. I have:
Memory used 33008 Words
Free memory 16144 Words

This sounds like good news. From what you're saying, I can create an area, such as B26 and put however many I like in there, and an N24 area, and put whatever I like in there, as long as I don't fill up the memory, and as long as they're not already used by anything else.

Right?

(I have done online mods before so I'm comfortable with that.)

Phil

Aye, Don't fill up the memory with unnecessary data areas, as you will need the memory when editing ladder rungs, as the PLC creates a copy of the rung you are editing : so if it is a biggie, it will need plenty of space to create that copy.

But with 16k to play with, you are fine

Mickey,

So, going back to my original post, I can only have 1000 integers?

What is the revision letter of your processor?

"C" 1000 words N7:999, N10:199 etc.

"D" 2000 words N7:1999, N10:1999 etc.

This is per file, not per controller.

From pdf posted above:

This is the default file number and type. For this file type (integers), you can assign any file number from 3 through 999

Last edited: