Somewhat O.T. - a real-time timer

Von

Hey all,

I need to exercise a generator for 4 hours on the same date each month (all 4 hours at once).

I'm looking for some type of "off-the-shelf" real-time timer to do this.

Does anybody have any suggestions?...

My web search thus far has been disappointing.

TIA, VoN

Some of the low end PLCs have built in clock/calendars. The 28 point GE Fanuc VersaMax Micro does, although neither the 14 point Micro nor the Nano do. The Automation Direct DL06 has it. The DL05 needs a $49 add-on cartridge. I'm sure there are others.

A time clock would be able to do this. A Schneider type 16335 is a 365 dat time clock with 6 year battery back up for example.

The last time I used a generator on a project, the customer wisely spec'ed it with it's own internal timing module specifically for the purpose you want. Exercising a generator is normal considering that you don't want it to fail when you really need it.

Does your model have such an option?

Thanks to all for your ideas...

I did look into a few of them such as the programmable relays but worried about reliability and ease of reprogramming by others (after me); then the sprinkler type, but I did not find any that were "365 day" capable, most were 7 or 14 day. I went with an Intermatic 70115 series next gen. type. A bit pricey at about $250 USD but very flexible and a very trusted brand.

VoN.

For a 365 day unit you can not go wrong using Intermatic, they have been around more or less all my life and I sm over 50, definitely tested and proven.

Jimmie_Ohio said:
The last time I used a generator on a project, the customer wisely spec'ed it with it's own internal timing module specifically for the purpose you want. Exercising a generator is normal considering that you don't want it to fail when you really need it.

Does your model have such an option?

Plus, you wouldn't want your generator to get fat.