Logix5000 and PV550

paneltech

I am trying to get my head around using a Panelview 550 touch screen display with a controllogix controller. I only require bit data to be passed to the PLC from the screen such as manual push buttons etc and alarm data back. There would appear to be some sort of syntax conflict between the two units. What the PV550 expects to see as a tag is not what the PLC wants to see and visa versa. Can anyone explain (IN SIMPLE TERMS) how I overcome this problem. In many other PLC types, a marker (Mxxx) would be used as an adress point for the display. Am I missing something, is there a way of making a 'marker' tag???

John

Simple terms? Bwahahaha !

There are a half-dozen answers to this because the PanelView terminals have a whole assortment of ways to network to any controller, and the addressing syntax necessarily varies across different networks.

Which model number of PanelView are you using, and which network interface does it have ? The answer makes all the difference.

(and yes, there is a way of representing ControlLogix Tags using classic PLC/SLC addressing. Look under Logic -> Map PLC/SLC Messages in the main menu of RSLogix 5000).

More info will come after you post the PanelView model... I'm teaching class all day but I'm sure some of our other PV users will be able to contribute.

Last edited:
The model of the panelview is a PV550 (touch screen only) I have connected to it via my laptop using a pic driver which has worked fine and I have managed to program the PV. The PLC is a controllogix L55 type which I have also been able to write to using DH485. My problem is that in the past I have used Mitsi, Seimens etc with Proface screens. When carrying out say a manual push button function, the screen address would match the PLC marker address ie M100. With the AB system (which as you may have gathered I am quite new to!) a tag is required which is symbolic ie 'start_1'. If I try to set up a tag using start_1 in the PV, it will not validate as a proper address. The PV will accept say B20:1/1 but the PLC does not recognise this as a valid address. That is the root of my problem in summary.

I am using RSLogix 5000 with ver 11 firmware and Panelbuilder32

You need to map your Controllogix name type varaibles to traditional AB type addresses which is what the panelview wants. Using the map SLC / PLC5 function mentioned in a previous post.

They that it works I think is that you create arrays in the controllogix and these arrays refer to a traditional AB address.

Ex. you have an array named Pump[ ]. You then cross reference the Pump array in to a AB file say B3. So then Pump[0] reffers to B3:0, Pump[1] reffers to B3:1, etc.
So in the PV then if you want to address Pump[0] you use address B3:0.

pardon my spelling (maybe), I'm a engineer.

ING

You are very pretentious: `pardon my spelling (maybe), I'm a engineer.

On many electric diagram, in the bottom of the sheet, the diagram is approuved by an engineer like that: ING: M. Jack Strap.

Do you know what ING meens?

Intelligence
Not
Guarentee

Bye Bye

Hey there, play nice in the far reaches of the Empire.

Mikey is right on about using the PLC/SLC addressing emulation in the ControlLogix. We could go into depth about the various wrinkles, permutations, revisions, and features that can transpire between the Logix and the PanelView, or go for the quick and dirty method.

In the PanelView, use the traditional "Type/File:Word.Bit" addressing (play along, paneltec, we'll review it later). Pretend that you're addressing a SLC-5/03 controller.

In the ControlLogix, create one array of INT data type for each Data File of type N (integer) or B (boolean) that you addressed in the PanelView.

In the "Map PLC/SLC Messages" feature in RSLogix 5000, enter the SLC-style File Number and it's equivalent Tag array name.

For example, create INT-type tag arrays named "PV_Bits[10]" and PV_Integers[10]" in the Controller-scope database.

Add these tags to the "Map PLC/SLC Messages" table as File 3 and File 7. Any messages that come into the ControlLogix serial port as SLC or PLC style addresses will be treated as members of those arrays.

This can be extended to handle other data types such as floating point and probably Strings.

I would have chosen DF1 protocol for this application if there was only the PanelView and the ControlLogix to think of, but I'm sure there are other considerations.

[attachment]

thread2718_mapping.gif

You are the man!!

Thanks for the reply, I will give this a try (I would have never found this solution!!)

The only reason why I used a pic driver to program the PV was that it said I should although I'm not sure what happens when I eventually plug the PV into the controller???